BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the standard chrome window trim on my 2003 E60 and wanted the matt black look of the shadowline trim. I spoke to my local stealer and they quoted me £611 (parts were £178ish.

I then found a website in the US who sold matt black tape to go over the trim so bought a role for $20 but it is really fiddly to put on.

I then came across the following how to guide to paint the chrome trim myself http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/JF-Tech/Blacking_out_chrome_trim_E30_3Series.htm

Now I am no expert in these things but i've done the bottom 2 strips on one side and the result looks awesome, as good as the proper trim I think. It took me longer to tape up the bodywork around the trim then it did to paint. I bought some professional matt black trim spray paint and primer from fleabay and some decent masking tape. I lightly sanded the chrome and applied 1 coat of primer then 4 or 5 very light coats of black to build up. Today was the acid test when I took it to my local hand car wash who use very powerful jet sprays, I was a but worried they would strip the paint off but everything is OK.

So for £20 in materials and what will take me a day to do properly it's saved me a whole lot of money, I think i'll do the front grills as well :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe there is a gloss version and the matt version, obviously you'd use gloss black trim paint and a glossy clear overcoat if you wanted that look :)

To be honest most of the cost from BMW was labour the parts were only around £180 and was the same for either gloss or matt. They quoted around 4 hours to fit!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Rory - when do i bring my car round so you can do my chrome grills MATE??? lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done the Kidney Grills too now! even easier than the trim!

When you open the bonnet there is a hard rubber grommet on the front of the car, with a but of brute strength this pulls off easily. This then gives you access to the 3 clips on top of the grills. Push these down and out. The next bit is fiddly as you need to push a finger through the grill and unclip the other 3/4 clips. I went anti clockwise. Once you have one off you can reach through and unclip the other side to give you enough room to get to the other clips.

Then it's a simple case of sanding and spraying, to put them back on takes seconds!

I've done all the trim now and it looks the nutts!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
looks the nuts mate - well done - i have to do the kidneys after looking at yours!!

how has the window trim stood up to washing and the weather?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks the nuts mate - well done - i have to do the kidneys after looking at yours!!

how has the window trim stood up to washing and the weather?
Well it hasn't rained much yet but I must've put 3 coats of primer and 7 or 8 thin coats of paint on. It's been through the local hand wash and they use very powerful water jets to rinse and it's been fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts