BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently purchased a E53 X5 that had a LPG conversion already installed, The car came with an LPG certificate and a recent LPG service, After having the car for a few days the engine management light came on, I spoke to the dealer ahe he thinks that the light is to do with the LPG conversion and after speaking to his LPG man, there is nothing they can do, it is an issue with BMW and rovers with conversions

It has not been plugged in yet to obtain the diagnostic codes, yet as the dealer lives far away so was hoping he would do this

Also, and not sure if this is related, as this has only happended twice, but I have started the car up and there has been lots of smoke come out of the exhasusts, so much so you cant see out the back, but only smoke at start up then dies down to normal, right after.

Can anyone advise me on this, as I am not mechanical at all, I have only had the car a month, also the check engine oil warning message came on today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my friend has the same problem. because all petrol which is sent to engine is returned to tank. Ecu thinks that engine runs without using petrol. than light turns on.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
is the smoke actually water vapor? i.e. white clouds? because the LPG creates a lot of condensation in your exhuast as it heat up, turns to steam and then blows about all over the place. if worried, td a long run on petrol to heat the exhaust up to temp to expel all the water, then start again from cold. should be a LOT less "smoke"
if the smoke is any other colour (blue) on startup then this could mean other things...

·
Administrator
4,203 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchased a E53 X5 that had a LPG conversion already installed, The car came with an LPG certificate and a recent LPG service, After having the car for a few days the engine management light came on, I spoke to the dealer ahe he thinks that the light is to do with the LPG conversion and after speaking to his LPG man, there is nothing they can do, it is an issue with BMW and rovers with conversions.
Speak to another LPG installer. It could be lots of things but their comments it's a BMW thing without hooking it up to the car is rubbish.

A decent installer could read both the BMW and LPG codes. The petrol ecu expects certain feedback from various sensors and the LPG ecu needs to emulate these values for the petrol ECU to be happy.

Ian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure

is the smoke actually water vapor? i.e. white clouds? because the LPG creates a lot of condensation in your exhuast as it heat up, turns to steam and then blows about all over the place. if worried, td a long run on petrol to heat the exhaust up to temp to expel all the water, then start again from cold. should be a LOT less "smoke"
if the smoke is any other colour (blue) on startup then this could mean other things...
To be really honest I don't know, it is White/cloudy ish, it happend again today, I drove home from work. And 1/2 hr later needed to go out again and when I when I started up lots of smoke from tail pipes.
Car drives fine though,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
smoke happened again yesterday

The White/cloudy smoke happened again yesterday, car was fine when driving home from work, after being idle all day, but when I used the car again 1/2 hr later after getting home White/cloudy smoke again on start up.

Can't be sure if smoke smells, I think it smells like a burning smell when I got out the car but can't be sure, really worried....

Checked Internet and lots of head gasket diagnosis from similar posts...

Please help

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi just bought an x5 4.4 last sat and have had a bit of white smoke and smell of oil off n/side exhaust but only when youv'e slowed down and put foot back on throttle or when it's sat at tickover no smoke at all when on steady throttle took it to my local dealers he done a chemical test on the coolant and hey presto head gasket leaking if this is the problem you have i would recomend you get both gaskets done cause the other will probably go the cost 1200 quid luckily its under warranty should have kept my 330d sport

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi just bought an x5 4.4 last sat and have had a bit of white smoke and smell of oil off n/side exhaust but only when youv'e slowed down and put foot back on throttle or when it's sat at tickover no smoke at all when on steady throttle took it to my local dealers he done a chemical test on the coolant and hey presto head gasket leaking if this is the problem you have i would recomend you get both gaskets done cause the other will probably go the cost 1200 quid luckily its under warranty should have kept my 330d sport
Hi,
I it does sound similar, I checked the oil today and yellow residue in oil cap and little bit at bottom of oil stick, the car is not over heating and drives fine, spoke to the dealer today who I bought it from and he said could just be moisture, and if the car is driving fine and not overheating don't worry, he also said it would be covered under the warranty, but they will only fix if it breaks down.

How did you go about getting it checked out and sorted with your warranty company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts