BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi wondered if you can help me?

We bought a X5 private 8 weeks ago have had no problems with it up until today.. We were driving into town when the message

Trans Failsafe Prog came up. I got the book out to check what it meant but didnt understand it. We tried to drive the car & it was reving real high & was moving away real slow. We parked it up so i could have a proper read of the manual. We decided to go home so started the car up after about 10 mins & all seemed ok but a few mins into the journey the same message came up again

I have a guy down our road that is a machanic he does the work on all our cars & also has a X5 he has had a few different ones. He had never heard of this b4 so took my manual & said he would look on the internet

He came round, bought his machine to see if anything came up on his machine. No faults or anything came up.

I had a c-section 4 weeks ago so the car has just been sat on the drive it isnt really being driven except on weekends by my partner but its just short journeys but all week it is just sat there..... It has not had a proper run in ages. Just short 10 min journeys here & there

The guy said the battery was abit low on 14% & also my partner left the lights on (side lights) on the car for about 2 hours lastnight the young lads from next door knocked our door to let us know. We have the original BMW battery in the car.

This guy then said about taking the car for a long drive about 20 mins to get the battery to charge & give the car a good run where it has been sat there. He went to reverse it on the drive & the car would not move, it just kept reving?????

The car is on a 53 plate
It has done 86,000 miles
It is a automatic you cant change it to a manual its always automatic with sport injection??

We charged the battery overnight & tried this morning to move the car. Where the bloke had plugged his machine in underneth the wheel the casing was out my OH put it back in & it reversed but you had to rev it real high but then it would not move forward in drive????

Can anyone help me please offer advice??

Thanks
Gemma

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi ive exactually the same thing wrong with my 2003 x5 4.4i.took it to local BMW specailist he plugged it in and said it could be the gear selection indicator which is (so he told me on the side of the gear box on the drivers side) ive googled this gear selection indicator to no avail.is it called by something else.the part costs £400 approx and is 2-3 inches long and this unit tells the gearbox which gear it should be in cheers dai

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi watermains81,

I assume your 2003 model has the 5-speed ‘box and not the 6-speed? If so, you’re getting the transmission ECU confused with the position switch. This switch (sometimes called the inhibitor switch or XYZ switch) is BMW part number 24107512755 or you can also buy it from a ZF parts distributor (ZF part number 0501 319 142). ZF are the manufacturer of the 5HP24 transmission fitted to your E53.

If you’re interested in how the switch works I’ve described it here :
http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33122&start=60#p305088

The 5L40-E transmission used in the 3.0d uses a different switch as it’s manufactured by GM & not ZF.

Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for the pic i found that today took the guard plate off unbolted unit but it still seems tightly fixed didnt force it but will try again tomorrow if i get new switch will it need to be programmed to regconise it or is it just a straight swop chers dai

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, the plastic wiper arm tends to get stuck on the spline on the end of the selector shaft. You need to get a screwdriver behind it to help lever it along the shaft a bit. The inhibitor switch doesn't need programming to the vehicle.

The DTCs definitely indicate a problem with this switch do they? It's just that, to me, your problem sounds more likely to be caused an internal hydraulic leak on the A-clutch.

When the fluid is cold its higher viscosity means that the pump can keep up with the leakage and maintain pressure on the clutch. The fluid takes around 20 minutes to get up to normal running temperature and, as its viscosity reduces, the leakage gets higher and the pump can no longer keep up. The pressure to the A-clutch falls off and the clutch slips. The ECU senses the slip via its two speed sensors and, to protect the transmission, puts it into limp-home mode (4th gear + torque converter open) and flags the TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG on the instrument panel.

When the fluid cools down again (e.g. overnight) the transmission reverts to normal operation and the whole process starts over again.

I've fixed around a dozen 5HP24s in the past year or so with exactly this problem.

Phil

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm afraid not. There are 27 different versions of the 5HP24 and your 4.4 litre E53 will only accomodate model number 1058 000 029 (because of the NV125 transfer case). The 4.6 litre E53 used a slightly 'beefed up' version with a different model number again - 1058 000 034.

Phil

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just to give you an idea, a typical parts list for a 5HP24 rebuild including having the torque converter re-manufactured and 11 litres of the special transmission fluid, is :

1. Overhaul kit (ZF p/n 1058 298 022) = £116
2. Filter (ZF p/n 0501 004 925) = £25
3. Bearing, B clutch hub to C clutch drum (ZF p/n 1058 202 016) = £6
4. Oil tube (ZF p/n 1058 301 020) = £30
5. Oil tube (ZF p/n 1058 301 021) = £13
6. Oil tube (ZF p/n 1058 301 071) = £11
7. A-clutch snap ring (ZF p/n 0730 513 920) = £1
8. C-clutch return spring split ring (ZF p/n 1055 376 025) = £2
9. M8x24 countersunk screw (ZF p/n 0736 401 071) – 12-off = £18
10. Re-manufactured torque converter = £212
11. Mobil ATF LT71141 fluid – 11 litres = £128
12. Suppliers charge for torque converter collection & parts delivery = £26

I would say that this list applies to around 90% of the 5HP24s that I rebuild. Occasionally a transmission might require a new clutch pack. Six friction and six steel plates for the A-clutch, for example, comes out at £72.

The above assumes all genuine ZF parts sourced from an official ZF parts supplier.

Phil

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for that phil could you personal message me your contact details as i would like to speak to you about you possibly doing work for me if i can get car up to you hope to hear from you soon dai

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Hi there,
I know this is some time after your issues and I do hope some one gets it. I have 2003 X5 3.0d Auto. I have the problem of no transmission. Start up car goes into reverse. break and try again nothing. No drive forward no reverse. ABS/DSC lights on. Manual select gear 1 and 2 but no movement. this is what I have done up to now.
Decide to change the 2 front wheel speed sensors so did that and also got a code reader. Changed sensors and car went into reverse no probs but no fwd drive. ABS and DSC lights still on. Code in DSC system 83 CAN TIMEOUT ASC/DSC and 02 CAN ENGINE POWER CONTROL on gearbox control menu. Can only select gears 1 and 2 on shift and when I select 3 it goes back to 2 but with no drive. Also monitored on reader whilst changing gear and it indicates what I am doing. However when in park or drive it indicates 1st gear. couldnt see anything else. some said that I could take off the abs/dsc CONTROL UNIT so I did that but no change so still no further fwd. why is it working sometimes and not others if it was a mechanical failure surely I would not be able to get reverse at all. Have got a friend with a more in depth reader/diagnostic tool so will try that but think it is going to the garage soon. Any ideas thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to give you an idea, a typical parts list for a 5HP24 rebuild including having the torque converter re-manufactured and 11 litres of the special transmission fluid, is :

1. Overhaul kit (ZF p/n 1058 298 022) = £116
2. Filter (ZF p/n 0501 004 925) = £25
3. Bearing, B clutch hub to C clutch drum (ZF p/n 1058 202 016) = £6
4. Oil tube (ZF p/n 1058 301 020) = £30
5. Oil tube (ZF p/n 1058 301 021) = £13
6. Oil tube (ZF p/n 1058 301 071) = £11
7. A-clutch snap ring (ZF p/n 0730 513 920) = £1
8. C-clutch return spring split ring (ZF p/n 1055 376 025) = £2
9. M8x24 countersunk screw (ZF p/n 0736 401 071) – 12-off = £18
10. Re-manufactured torque converter = £212
11. Mobil ATF LT71141 fluid – 11 litres = £128
12. Suppliers charge for torque converter collection & parts delivery = £26

I would say that this list applies to around 90% of the 5HP24s that I rebuild. Occasionally a transmission might require a new clutch pack. Six friction and six steel plates for the A-clutch, for example, comes out at £72.

The above assumes all genuine ZF parts sourced from an official ZF parts supplier.

Phil

Hi Phil, I'm looking for ZF 1058 301 021, any idea where to get one for the price you stated? I've been quoted 40 pounds for that tiny metal tube, bit excessive!!
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi wondered if you can help me?

We bought a X5 private 8 weeks ago have had no problems with it up until today.. We were driving into town when the message

Trans Failsafe Prog came up. I got the book out to check what it meant but didnt understand it. We tried to drive the car & it was reving real high & was moving away real slow. We parked it up so i could have a proper read of the manual. We decided to go home so started the car up after about 10 mins & all seemed ok but a few mins into the journey the same message came up again

I have a guy down our road that is a machanic he does the work on all our cars & also has a X5 he has had a few different ones. He had never heard of this b4 so took my manual & said he would look on the internet

He came round, bought his machine to see if anything came up on his machine. No faults or anything came up.

I had a c-section 4 weeks ago so the car has just been sat on the drive it isnt really being driven except on weekends by my partner but its just short journeys but all week it is just sat there..... It has not had a proper run in ages. Just short 10 min journeys here & there

The guy said the battery was abit low on 14% & also my partner left the lights on (side lights) on the car for about 2 hours lastnight the young lads from next door knocked our door to let us know. We have the original BMW battery in the car.

This guy then said about taking the car for a long drive about 20 mins to get the battery to charge & give the car a good run where it has been sat there. He went to reverse it on the drive & the car would not move, it just kept reving?????

The car is on a 53 plate
It has done 86,000 miles
It is a automatic you cant change it to a manual its always automatic with sport injection??

We charged the battery overnight & tried this morning to move the car. Where the bloke had plugged his machine in underneth the wheel the casing was out my OH put it back in & it reversed but you had to rev it real high but then it would not move forward in drive????

Can anyone help me please offer advice??

Thanks
Gemma
Hi just wondering did you get this issue sorted? If so could you point me in the right direction as I’m having the exact same problem. Thank you X

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi ive exactually the same thing wrong with my 2003 x5 4.4i.took it to local BMW specailist he plugged it in and said it could be the gear selection indicator which is (so he told me on the side of the gear box on the drivers side) ive googled this gear selection indicator to no avail.is it called by something else.the part costs £400 approx and is 2-3 inches long and this unit tells the gearbox which gear it should be in cheers dai

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it the actuator you have changed ? I’ve also done this today , very awkward fix .however trans failsafe prog still coming up .a couple of weeks ago though .i saw smoke coming from under the car about same place as transfer case .i thought it was just condensation dripping in exhaust .now I’m thinking , could it be case is leaking transmission oil and that’s why it’s in limp mode ??? Any help ???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts