BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The glass part of the tailgate has developed a problem where it decides to open its self from time to time and is getting worse. At first I thought I was catching the boot release button on my key fob but then noticed that this was not the case as the glass part opened its self just as I started the engine. It can be difficult to close as it can take several attempts to close it, you can hear the mechanism working as soon as you shut it and it opens again.

I dont use this part of the boot lid and find it a little pontless but find having to constantly get in and out of the car to close it very annoying. Can this be disconnnected without affecting the lock on the main tailgate?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would initially think it could be a wiring problem, if like other e46s the wiring shorts out when the insulation cracks.

You should be able to remove the boot panel and disconnect the solenoid plug for the window

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear tailgate window opens on its own.

hi, sounds like a problem we used to have with the rear tailgate opening on its own, the fault was the control unit in the tailgate , its located under plastic trim along the top of tailgate on the outside , common fault.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts