BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All, This is my 1st post! unfortunately it's not looking good...

i've only had my 53 plate E46 330d sport for 5 wks, we had the snow so I didn't use it for 2 wks. Only been using it the last 3 weeks. I started to notice when I put the car into drive that it didn't activate for some time when cold.. reverse always works straight away. I called a few tranny co's & they told me my box is on it's way out. 1 mentioned it is probably a pressure problem & when this builds up enough that's when it engages drive... I have been worried since & not sure what to do, I have been researching lots of different forums for advice..

I filled the car up tonight @ the cost of £80 !!!!! only to see the Transmission light come on, car felt slightly weird which I assume is limp mode, picked my son up from school so 20 min break & when I started up it disappeared. been reading all the forums so many people with different ideas, just wondered if you sorted it ?

I was going to try & contact my warranty company 1st (I hear you laugh) it does say it covers auto boxes & all internals but i'm sure there will be some clause..

Then I was going to get a diagnostic check, possibly end up having trans fluid & filter changed to see if this helps.. (although I have read posts where this hasn't solved the problem!)

So I could have the diagnostic check, trans fluid & filter changed & stillend up with the dreaded trans light still on ?

Has anyone had this problem & solved the issue ?

I wondered if the car was remapped & if this could affect this ?

I have read on some forums that reprogramming the box sorted the delayed selection of drive..

Also read people who have had reconditioned boxes fitted & still had the same trans light coming on.....

H E L P !!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
time to face facts its fooked mate and it happens a lot on automatic diesels unfortunately especially mapped ones..

5 weeks? take it back to the garage and state the merchantable goods quality law, go straight past the shite warranty they give with them its a cheap trick they all use..

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
time to face facts its fooked mate and it happens a lot on automatic diesels unfortunately especially mapped ones..
Here we go again...

The fault you are describing is from a sticking solenoid which controls fluid flow inside the box as hydraulic power. When this solenoid become inefficient, the autobox can't get the require pressure to operate the internal clutches.
This causes the popular loss of forward drive although reverse always remains.
Revving the car excessively in neutral can overpressurise and jam the solenoid.

A similar issue can be caused via a worn bypass ball in the torque converter leading to transmission shunt, but this often affects all gears
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/01-35.pdf

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree,my box went and I bypassed warranty, took it straight back to dealer with a letter from trading standards and he had no choice to get it fixed there and then at a cost of £2500+ vat,he was gutted when he knew I had my rights with me on a bit of paper :)
I was happy knowing the gearbox had been done :)

Take it back

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice!!

Unfortunately the Garage that sold it to me knew I was getting it mapped & he will blame this of cause !!

where do i stand ? I could get it put back to the original map & say it was never done ?

will the warranty route be worth trying as it does state that auto boxes are covered, only to the value of £750 tho so will have to pay the rest !!

If it is just the solenoid how much am i looking at to fix it ? would it be near the cost of sticking in a new box ?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
oh dear you are in trouble! so you have owned it 5 weeks and in that time you have remapped it while its under warranty and the garage knows it too and now the tranny is fubared?

a harsh and expensive lesson has been dealt to you mate.. and a GM made autobox which is actually under specified in max peak torque handling on the 330d even in standard form..

yal be lucky if the warranty company will answer the fone if they get wind its remapped your on seriously dodgy ground..

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dealer tried to say I had remapped mine when he drove it back to me after the box was replaced,he said it was too fast for a standard 330cd,I never remapped it so if it has been done it wasn't by me,must admit though it is the fastest diesel car I have drove but I havnt driven another so I couldn't compare the power

1 - 8 of 8 Posts