BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
only had car 3weeks, however ive noticed that with my window slightly down, i can smell diesel fumes coming in through the window (no other cars around, ive found this on motorway and speeds above 20mph).
its as if the air is passing through the engine bay once above about 20mph, through the bonnet lines and swirl into the car, as if something could be leaking i.e manifiold? its most definitely exhaust smell fumes
my wife was driving behind me the other day, and said the car reeks of diesel... now not knowing much about the engine or common problems, is there a likely cause? there are no leaks, the car is garaged.
any likely hints or should i remove the plastic engine cover and check for vacuum leaks or manifold leaks?
thanks guys

·
Registered
52 Posts
what ronnie said,
paying close attention to the fuel return lines. #8 just a guess.
but my 320d's lines look a bit knackered, and i suffer this problem do a degree.
also noticed the smell from infont of the car after switching it on.

does anyone here think it could have anything to do with the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recycle) valve pipes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exhaust Smells

Hi
I had a similar problem but the windows where shut. I put my hand over the exhaust on a cold engine, thats when they are smokiest, and found a leak in the exhaust right up the front. It was the flexible exhaust part of the pipe and made a rattle when it was cold, this piece also includes the infamous (useless) Euro 4 catalytic convertor, which is expensive to replace. But there is an alternative replacement on Ebay which is considerably cheaper and actually improves the car, without the euro 4 Cat (it already has 2 Cats and you only need 1 for emissions tests). ATB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.