BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This is actually a question about my BMW E46 330d, but I figured that the method would be the same for most cars. I'll try to be concise.

At present the audio set-up is stock, with the addition of a Nokia bluetooth kit.

What I want to do is to add:
- New headunit
- New front door component speakers
- 12" sub
- 2 channel amp for front doors (or maybe 4 channel amp and do all speakers, maybe upgrade rear speakers too then)
- class d amp for sub
- adapter to keep steering controls working

So the plan will be to run power/turn on/audio RCA to the boot and put the amps in the spare wheel well. The sub will sit in the boot. I will then run speaker wire back from the 2/4 channel amp to the back of the headunit and I will get a spare loom and connect the amplified speaker wires from the 2/4 channel amp onto the loom which will plug into the stock wiring harness, thereby sending my amplified audio down the factory wires.

I've attached a picture to show the stock speaker wire, and how I plan to cut it and then attach the output from the amp to it. The amp will no doubt be pushing more current than the stock headunit, but doing it this way allows me to avoid running new wire into the doors.

Is this a legitimate way to do it? What about the cross overs for the components? Does anything tend to be located between the headunit and the door? Where does the stock cross over tend to live?

Cheers

·
Registered
171 Posts
have used this method a few times and seems to work fine. could not tell you bout the stock crossovers tho, however looking http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22759
it looks as if there are no crossovers and perhaps only small built in capacitors and or resistors if at all for the tweeters

gd luck :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Why dont you want to run new wire into the doors out of interest? would be better to run the new thicker wire to the components especially if they are amped. its a bit fidlly getting it through the boot on the hinges with all the wires into the door but it can be done, have done it on all my e46's. Not aware of any standard cross overs, the tweeter wires come off of the back of the midrange speaker. I hid my crossovers next to my sub in the boot then run 2 sets of wires down each side of the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why dont you want to run new wire into the doors out of interest? would be better to run the new thicker wire to the components especially if they are amped. its a bit fidlly getting it through the boot on the hinges with all the wires into the door but it can be done, have done it on all my e46's. Not aware of any standard cross overs, the tweeter wires come off of the back of the midrange speaker. I hid my crossovers next to my sub in the boot then run 2 sets of wires down each side of the car.
I wanted to avoid the hassle of running wires into the doors. I have done this on my previous car but because I couldn't get through the stock wiring boot I had to drill the door and put in a gromet etc. So I figured using the stock wiring from the HU would be easier. If there's no cross overs or other 'funny business' between the HU and the door wiring, and if the wire can take the power, then there's no downsides really. I'd then obviously hide the new crossovers on the back of the door cards.

I see you've a fair bit of experience running wires into doors on E46's.. so can you explain the procedure? I've not had a proper good look into my hindges, so can you give me an idea of how much hassle it is to run wires through there? Can you go through the stock boot?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The wiring BMW uses is very thick. I would be happy reusing it for anything up to multispeaker multiamp setups.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I wanted to avoid the hassle of running wires into the doors. I have done this on my previous car but because I couldn't get through the stock wiring boot I had to drill the door and put in a gromet etc. So I figured using the stock wiring from the HU would be easier. If there's no cross overs or other 'funny business' between the HU and the door wiring, and if the wire can take the power, then there's no downsides really. I'd then obviously hide the new crossovers on the back of the door cards.

I see you've a fair bit of experience running wires into doors on E46's.. so can you explain the procedure? I've not had a proper good look into my hindges, so can you give me an idea of how much hassle it is to run wires through there? Can you go through the stock boot?
you need to take the trims off of the corners in the footwells to start with after running the wires to that point. undo the 8mm bolt on the boot. remove the door card. i poked a wire through from the door side into the car and black taped it to the speaker wire. Then I pulled it through into the door. I Only do it this way as its easier to put the standard audio system back in if i ever sell/ need to. Ive never really looked at how thick the standard wire is but if its quite thick it will be upto the job. :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
yes i had to run a new pair of speaker cables from the boot to the behind the dash,

i didnt cut where they went into the doors

i cut the speaker wires on the harness adapter for the HU, so when i put it all back no wireing in the car has been cut,

and both left and right is there, you dont have to run one cable to the other side of the dash

·
Registered
31 Posts
anyone got a picture of the wiring part at the HU??
iv installed loads of systems(mainly just to my cars)but i can usually get wires into the doors.
im trying to imagine what sam means lol(iv looked at your other thread on your install but still cant make it out.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
the speaker wires that come from the HU and go to the doors, i have just cut them behind the HU and crimped in my new speaker wire, so im using the exsiting spekaer wire from the HU to the doors

1 - 14 of 14 Posts