BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I was having a conversation with a friend with regards to screenwash. I went and bought a 5 litre gallon of screenwash (can't remember the name). On the instuctions it gave 3 types of dilution instructions. Summer ratio was 2:1 (water:screenwash), winter ratio was 1:1 (water:screenwash) and extreme winter required no dilution, it advises to just pour in the screenwash without mixing.

I went for the 'extreme winter' option and just poured in the screenwash without diluting it.

After speaking to my friend (who also owns an E46 coupe), he says I made a big mistake using screenwash from a general parts store and not BMW genuine screenwash. He was explaining how his aunt messed up her whole washer system by using aftermarket screenwash and not BMW's (she was advised by BMW of this) and this damage cost her a fair bit to rectify.

I want your advise on this guys as I have no idea if this is correct or not.

What screenwash do you use and do you dilute it?

What damage could this cause?

Could not diluting the screenwash cause any damage to the paintwork?

·
BFuk Resident Design Guru
2,834 Posts
I use autoglym screenwash.. i find with the cheap crap it might not freeze in the bottle but at the jets it crystalises like sugar and blocks it... no problems with the autoglym stuff! :thumbsup i get it for 4 quid for 500 ml but you use one of them and fill the bottle and it does good up to -20 or something so its all good!

·
Registered
737 Posts
cant see bmws being any better that others out there i have heard of some real good ones but can never remember the brands, mine looks like urine when it hits the screen and is very good, dont know what it is though cos i aint owned the car long enough to change it, using washing up liquid does the damage, never use this it will congeal in your pumps etc, i would definately dilute any screenwash though

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick reply guys! How much of the washer bottle can I fill up? Is here a minimum/maximum point? I have filled about 75% of the bottle so far and it is just screenwash, no water mixed in at all. Should I fill the rest of the bottle up with water or leave it?

·
Registered
223 Posts
you worry too much mate... its screen wash lol

it doesnt matter what you do! i would top it up with water just because it is cheaper. either will be fine, you deffo dont need to remove it and you deffo dont need to use genuine bmw screen wash! the problem is when people put screen wash in, and dont use the washers for 6 months, and it goes stale and jelly like and blocks it up, i go through screen wash every 2 weeks or so, and never had a problem, use the cheapest available.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you worry too much mate... its screen wash lol

it doesnt matter what you do! i would top it up with water just because it is cheaper. either will be fine, you deffo dont need to remove it and you deffo dont need to use genuine bmw screen wash! the problem is when people put screen wash in, and dont use the washers for 6 months, and it goes stale and jelly like and blocks it up, i go through screen wash every 2 weeks or so, and never had a problem, use the cheapest available.
LOL yes I am a proper stress pot!!!

You've answered my question thank you :silly I'll just top it off with water and leave it! My mate scared me you see, his aunt probably used Fairy Liquid or something then!

Appreciate all your help guys! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Only top it up with water if it's still going to be strong enough not to freeze, this cold weather is hanging around for quite a while yet. Thought I'd made mine strong enough but had -12 here and it's broken the headlight washers now there leaking :mad

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Only top it up with water if it's still going to be strong enough not to freeze, this cold weather is hanging around for quite a while yet. Thought I'd made mine strong enough but had -12 here and it's broken the headlight washers now there leaking :mad
As above Hassan, I am currently using neat screenwash in all of my vehicles ATM to prevent the escape of another one of my frozen headlamp washers:mad

Better to be safe than sorry;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As above Hassan, I am currently using neat screenwash in all of my vehicles ATM to prevent the escape of another one of my frozen headlamp washers:mad

Better to be safe than sorry;)
So basically I shouldn't mix any water into my screenwash at all and leave it as a pure concentrated screenwash?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'd leave that screen wash undiluted, the next stuff you get look on the bottle to check what actual temperature it'll freeze at depending on dilution. Avoid stuff that doesn't tell you the actual temperature. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I used to put neat vodka in my washer bottles when I was serving in Germany in the nineties, cause it was cheaper than screenwash!!?!! NEVER FROZE! and if you got stuck you could at least enjoy yourself:hihi.

Now I use neat screenwash (of a good quality as the cheap stuff smears when it gets really cold) Does not taste the same though!

Dunk

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
So basically I shouldn't mix any water into my screenwash at all and leave it as a pure concentrated screenwash?
I do in all our cars (all four of them)..... Been down to -10degrees C so far and still working as it should.:thumbsup

I get mine from my local Unipart distributor as I have an account there - no idea what make it is..;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do in all our cars (all four of them)..... Been down to -10degrees C so far and still working as it should.:thumbsup

I get mine from my local Unipart distributor as I have an account there - no idea what make it is..;)
I get discount through my workplace too. A £4.99 5 litre bottle costs me £1.39 :jaw-dropping

1 - 20 of 83 Posts