BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I took delivery today of a 2003 330ci auto E46 which I am mighty pleased about. It came with 3 keys, two normal ones with remote controls and one without any remote buttons.

One of the standard keys is fully functional and the non standard key also seems to work ok, however the second standard key seems to have two problems. Firstly the remote control buttons do not work and second the key will not start the car unless I use one of the other keys first and then use the 'faulty' key.

If I understand correctly then I could perhaps change the battery in the key in order to get the remote functions working but I would still need to get BMW to fix the 'transponder' to enable it to switch off the immobiliser.

Could someone kindly confirm if I am correct and perhaps suggest what I need to do to get it fixed. Should I ask BMW to fix the transponder first and then work on the battery issue or the other way around, or even scrap the key and get a replacement from BMW. Any and all ideas and suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't work

Hi,

Thanks to all for their suggestions and ideas, unfortunately none worked.

I 'opened' the key and tested the battery ... it was giving over 3 volts. I taped the key together and set about the car with all the suggested techniques without any success.

I reckon the key is kaput and even if I got the remote functions working I would stilll have a problem with the transponder issue.

I think that I should bin the key unless anyone have another idea to try ... thanks.

Peter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure?

Colin,

Are you sure that there is a good po0ssibility of getting the key working? Even if you get the remote functions working, I understand that the problem with the transponder is still an issue.

I very much appreciate the offer to assist.

Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts