BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my E46 330I has a very slight coolant leak which I have traced to a component that sits on the Engine at the front left hand side, It is partially hidden by the Motor being canted over and is really only possible to view with a mirror set.

It is the part that you can "just see" the alloy cap that has a "NUT" Form where its attatched to the rest of the assembly.

I would appreciate Help as its going into the dealership Tuesday and I want them to change the correct thing and not have to go back time and time again whilst they change random things:thumbsup.

Dunk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The leak seems to be coming from behind that assy, I just needed to know what "That" was to explain to the garage. Prob is the leak is small but it is being attracted by the fan and going all over the front of the motor making an accurate diagnoses based on dried coolant tricky, but there was DEFINETELY a fresh drop of coolant emminating from that general area.

Hope its not the cylinder head:jaw-dropping!

Dunk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I look at the visible sign of leakage and using logic (and hoping:eek that my cylinder head gasket is OK!) It is possible that the coolant is following the laws of nature, ie. "Gravity" and eminating from a bit further up into the area of the water-pump and thermostat and following the natural line down-hill (motor block canted over). Not exactly easy to get in there to have a good look.

And as you have stated Stephano the water pump "area" is the most likely culprit (have asked them to change the pump regardless of the result for peace of mind).

Cheers Dunk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there an easy way to get "exploded view" diagrams of engines for location queries without having to purchase "workshop manuals".

Dunk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers for that Afcneal:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup, exactly what i was looking for, might help me not looking like a noober by asking/posting pics of random objects and looking stupid (but I doubt it;)!

Dunk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the work done yesterday, thermostat housing replacement plus waterpump replacement, the leak is sorted:lol but when I arrived home there was a huge cloud of steam eminating from the radiator, drove straight back where they examined all possibilities.

Conclusion:- Coolant sprayed into the matrix on the replacements but it was thick and took ages to evaporate.

Fingers crossed

Dunk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts