BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Sorry for the silly question but do I have Xenon's in my car? How can I tell if I do or don't?

I do have auto headlights if that's any help??

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Easiest way to tell is that when you switch the main lights on, they will 'flicker on', like a florescent bulb turning on. Non-xenons are instantaneous to come on. Coupes in your year usually come with projector lenses either way.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Pull the car up against a wall.

Switch on the lights, they will come on instantly with a slight flicker, the top cut off will have a blue tinge to it. The light will have no yellowness to it like a normal halogen.

Similarly, when you turn them off, they will go out instantly.

Compare the light to your fogs, if they are different colours, they will have a high probability of being xenon.

Neal beat me to it...lol

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
As Neal and Mark have said :thumbsup

They'll be noticeably white compared to normal halogen lights. If you're still unsure you could park the car side by side to a car that you know has halogen lights, put both sets of headlights on, and if yours are brighter and give out a noticeable different, white light then you have xenons.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to check it tonight! Im in the house now so will try again tomorrow night if I remember lol, thanks guys for the comments. As you probably can tell im a newbie, have only had the car for about month. Cheers.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked it out and I dont have Xenon's. My headlights are the same yellowish glow as my fogs and I do not have the metal cased housing around the back of the bulb casing, they are plastic.

The reason why I initially thought I had Xenons was because at night the light beam from the headlights are projected in a very straight line and they are nice and bright, so thought they may be xenons, as my previous car's headlights were not as bright and perfectly projected as it is on the BMW.

They do the job perfectly but is it possible to buy the original BMW xenon bulbs and do a straight swap of the bulbs and connected them up to the existing housing/wiring?

cheers guys

·
Legendary BFuk Member +1
1,138 Posts
not sure about doin a straight swap coz most stylin and moddn stores are selln complete xenon wiring kits....i think thats too change your existing wiring too higher power..you may also need to change the bulbs....could be wrong...best goin on the net..check out bmwmstyle.co.uk and bmstylin.co.uk...theyr about £100...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that, I dont think I want to spend anything more than say about £50 on bulbs, and im not too keen on mods etc well not anything that takes too much work lol, any simple straight swap jobs are as far as I will go. I just dont have the time or the energy, at 26 im getting too old :thumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.