BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time my battery has drained in my e46 now, although the first time is because i had just installed a new sound system, subs and amp, obviously testing it without driving it was not a wise thing to do.

This time round i have a feeling i left something on in the car, although a couple of things are making me think otherwise - SUSPICIOUS. Did a few bits of work on her on Friday, removed glovebox to hide my Dice ipod kit and cleaned my MAF sensor. Anyway the neighbour knocked on my door and told me the car alarm was going off, cant beleive i didnt hear it, anyways i turned it off from the key and tried to lock the doors and nothing. Went to the car and noticed my passenger side window 2-3 cm lower than it should be, STRANGE!

Anyways car wouldnt even power on, light for the convertible roof was flickering on and off and i could hear a clicking noise for the mechanism and the entry light on the hardtop roof was flickering too! All i got on the dash was the airbag light going red and nothing else, even the automatic gearbox light on the "P" position was flickering amber.

Anyways disconnected battery on Sunday night after my neighbour had alerted me as i was planning to borrow a trickle charger from a friend the next day, unfortunately i loosened the bolts a little too much on the negative clamp and as i pulled the cable off, the block with the thread fell under the battery, below where the battery sits and i cant get to it! :mad

Today i couldnt get hold of the trickle charger so my friend at the local garage lent my his jump starting booster power station thing, which i connected up after putting the battery back minus the negative clamp and it started fine! drove it round for around 45 minutes to get some juice back into it, hoping it will start when i leave work, planning on a little cruise tonight just in case.

ALSO noticed from the outside of the car that my bonnet catch had been pulled as i was about to leave to get the charger this morning, dont recall doing it but strange and the window being down too! :confused

Anyway i need to get this battery clamp out from under the battery tray, i got the rods of which hold it in place, but i think it is bolted in as well, there seem to be a lot of bolts and unsure which ones to undo, the two centre silver ones or the 6 or so black ones underneath?

Any help would be appreciated as im not paying the stealership £20 for a new clamp!!

BR

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately not mate, Im pretty sure that is for the coupe where as mine is the convertible, so has a different tray holding the battery in because the weight of it is used in some way to balance the car, hence why it has the rods in place. The clamp is on the bottom end holding the battery in place and i need to figure out how to remove the tray under the battery so i can retrieve the negative battery terminal clamp. Thanks for trying though.

BR

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This is the image of the battery on my convertible, my battery clamp has fallen right below "part 1" so need to remove this, any ideas people?

BR

·
Registered
155 Posts
get a new battery clamp ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol new clamp £20 from BMW!! :eek

I got it... Magnet wouldnt work as the clamp fell right under the battery tray, which has two levels, i could get the magnet tool down there from the back end of the battery where it had fallen, but as it had gone underneath the second level of the tray no way to retrieve without removing it. So 5 bolts in the tray all taken out, i was looking for a simpler way as didnt have the right tools, but there unfortuantely wasnt!

Thanks anyways.... Solved! :thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts