BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the tweeters in my coupe has blown and I fear that the midrange is not far behind it. I have been looking into options for upgrading these with a plug and play replacement, but options seems to be limited. I currently have my eye on the BSW Stage 1 kit, but that would set me back close to £450.

I was wondering if anyone else had experience of this upgrade or could suggest another?

I want to keep the HU/amp as is and don't really want to make my own mounts or anything.

Thanks

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
I would of thought you can just swap speakers in the HK, so you can throw your old HK out and put the rainbows straight in,

Its changing the amp and HU where you have problems with HK

I would reccomend the rainbows, they are straight swap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would of thought you can just swap speakers in the HK, so you can throw your old HK out and put the rainbows straight in,

Its changing the amp and HU where you have problems with HK

I would reccomend the rainbows, they are straight swap
I thought HK had more speakers than normal;

tweeters/mid/bass in front
mid in rears
subs on parcel shelf

If so, I am not sure the standard rainbow setup will work unless you know of a product that will. :)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
look at the fronts first,

they have tweets mids and bass, But if it was me i would chuck all three out and put rainbows (components)

Your still gonna have two speaker wires going into the door that go to a crossover i pressume, chuck the crossover out put your new crossover with the rainbows in and your good to go

Mids in the rear same deal,

Subs in the shelf may be a bit harder, depending on what powers them, prolly the crappy HK amp, just find straight swap subs for the shelf. but you would have to see what sort of power the existing ones are and what impedence

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
look at the fronts first,

they have tweets mids and bass, But if it was me i would chuck all three out and put rainbows (components)

Your still gonna have two speaker wires going into the door that go to a crossover i pressume, chuck the crossover out put your new crossover with the rainbows in and your good to go

Mids in the rear same deal,

Subs in the shelf may be a bit harder, depending on what powers them, prolly the crappy HK amp, just find straight swap subs for the shelf. but you would have to see what sort of power the existing ones are and what impedence
Forgive my ignorance, but still struggling to find the rainbow set you are referring to.

From the pictures on realoem, I can only see 2 speakers, the tweeter/mid and seperate woofer.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD52&mospid=47620&btnr=65_0558&hg=65&fg=20

All the rainbow sets I can see are 3 seperate speakers and the mids also look a lot larger then the HK ones.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts