BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new car over the weekend and checked out most of the known points with regards to bushes, springs, etc. The test drive went well and apart from a few rattles from rear parcel shelf, I didn't notice anything much. In fact, I was very impressed and bought it.

However, I have since noticed that there might be a few problems with the air con/climate control. I am going to assume it is climate control as I have the temp gauge/auto ability on the console... :confused

So onto the problem(s).

The first I noticed was a whining noise when the aircon is on. At first I thought this was alternator whine coming through the speakers, have experienced this before with my old cars and stereos. I pulled over, turned the engine off and then put the ignition back on to kick in the aircon and the noise was still there.

This morning it was a bit chilly and when I tried to put the heating up, I noticed that the strength of the airflow coming out of the vents is what seems to be very low. It's been a while since I owned an e46, but I am sure it should be higher than what it is, which makes me think that perhaps they are related.

I would also say that with the heating on max (28degrees), the actual heat is not that great. I had to stick the recirculation on to get it to a point where it got toasty.

So, any suggestions as to what this could be. Unfortunately, I bought the car from 240 miles away and it will be a bit of a pain to go back up there to identify the problem.

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
You turned the engine off, but with ignition on the noise was still there ?
Well, thats not aircon then. At guess, i'd suggest maybe the cabin blower is whining ?!?

And for the poor air flow, it'll be the pollen filter that is clogged and needs replacing.

And for the heat, how long does it take for the engine to get upto the middle mark on the temp' gauge ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thats not aircon then. At guess, i'd suggest maybe the cabin blower is whining ?!?

And for the poor air flow, it'll be the pollen filter that is clogged and needs replacing.

And for the heat, how long does it take for the engine to get upto the middle mark on the temp' gauge ?
Yes, the engine was not running, but ignition was on and the whining was still there.

I will have a look at the time it takes for engine to get up to temp when I go to town at lunch.

Easy to replace pollen filter?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Easy to replace pollen filter?
Yes very simple, pop bonnet, locate the pollen filter housing at rear or engine bay, unscrew the 3 sprung loaded 1/2 turn clips
and the lid can be now be removed, whip out the pollen filter, replace filter, lid and screws ;)

pic courtesy of L16YD L Servicing the E46 320d guide, where you'll find pictorial guide for pollen filter replacement :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Tried this at lunchtime and although there would probably have been some residual heat left, the guage was close to being all the way to the left. Within a few mins/miles, it was in the middle, so assume that is okay?

·
Registered
17 Posts
This sounds a little like our old friend the Hedgehog or Final Stage Resistor might be raising it's ugly little head. I had symptoms very similar to this which then progressed to sporadic changes in blower flow, after that, the blowers would only come on when they felt like it and finally not at all.
An FSR will set you back anywhere from £30-£60 on t'internet and take a couple of hours of your life to replace amongst swear words and scratched knuckles.
There's a great "how to..." on this site with step by step instructions - enjoy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts