BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 (52 plate) 325 m sport coupe.
Currently I am using 10w 40 semi-synthetic, but it seems to use quite a fair bit of oil, and I was wondering whether it would be better to swap to a thicker oil?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
How much oil are you using ?

1 litre/1000 miles is at the lower ends of acceptable for your engine.

I would use a fully synthetic such as Mobil 1. There are some members on here who will I am sure offer you far more detail in terms of preferred viscosity and grades.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's using more than 1 litre per 1000 miles, the car had an oil service, and about 3000 miles later the light was on, and it was nearly empty!!

The reason I use the semi-synthetic is that I know that most modern engines are now run on this from new, so I just thought I would stick to that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your model is not really designed to run on semi-synthetic oil v60xxx. If you have a handbook to hand, then see the pages about viscosity. Let me know if you don't and I will post up the relevant page :thumbsup

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No i don't have it to hand. One of my friends who is a mechanic said that it was ok to run it on that, although I did think that fully synthetic would be the right option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.