BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a free safety check on my 2003 E46 325ci Sport when it went into a BMW dealer for a new CD player to be fitted... they noticed that the off-side rear wheel is slightly buckled on the inner rim.

Can this be repaired or am I better off buying a new or reconditioned wheel? It is 8.5J x 18 MV2 alloy.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
if its not giving any sort of vibration issues or an imminant tyre deflation i wouldn't worry..

they can be had second hand off ebay as individual wheels most of the time..

·
Registered
627 Posts
TBH I wouldn't try and repair a buckled wheel, where the alloy has distorted out of shape it will have "stretched" and induced stresses in the metal and this will be a weak spot prone to cracking after it has been straightened out. just my opinion but I personally wouldn't trust it on my car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will keep an eye out on ebay for a single replacement wheel... I do not seem to be experiencing any vibrations or other weird effects but this would surely be less likely on a rear wheel?

Does anyone have any specific recommendations what to look out for? I am sure half the wheels on 'the bay' are either stolen or replicas.... :-(

·
BFuk Moderator
2,680 Posts
I had a free safety check on my 2003 E46 325ci Sport when it went into a BMW dealer for a new CD player to be fitted... they noticed that the off-side rear wheel is slightly buckled on the inner rim.

Can this be repaired or am I better off buying a new or reconditioned wheel? It is 8.5J x 18 MV2 alloy.

The thread titled looks a bit buckled...please correct it and then i'll move this to the correct "alloy wheel" section of the forum :thumbsup

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have checked it...they marked it with yellow paint! It is a section of the inner rim about 4-6" long that looks like it has bulged inwards slightly... It is hard to judge how much by though!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
buying on ebay ask if they are stamped BMW with serial number, most MV reps arnt 8.5 rears anyway theyre usually all the same size..

·
Registered
83 Posts
i had a similar problem my wheel was a lil bit buckled just to be on the safe side i went on ebay and managed to get a replacement with tyre for £30

1 - 10 of 10 Posts