BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First and foremost my alignment is spot on, I just need to strighten the steering wheel, as it is a little "wonky"

Whats my best method:

1. Remove the steering wheel and reposition
2. Buy some axel stands and adjust the tie rods
3. Buy some ramps and adjust the tie rods

What do you think?

As a relative novice the car tinkering, the more advice the better!

·
Registered
416 Posts
if your alignement is spot on then the obvious answer should be to remove and reposition the steering wheel...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response, any other thoughts for a novice?

is repositioning the wheel definatly the way to go?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I would realign the track rods, plus on one & minus on the other, to correct the wheel. The wheel, column, & steering angle sensor should be the "constant", as tracking will undoubtedly have been done in the past, I'd set about correcting that.

A set no. turns in one direction with one tie rod, the same no. on the other ones. I'd do them on ramps. I often have.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I usually lift just one side up as high as I can so I can get to both tie rods, no need for wheels off. I also use a sharpie to mark initial position before turning the rods in/off as needed. You may have to do it 2-3 times to get the steering smack in the middle but it's easy enough though.

The steering wheel has a fixed position and doesn't like to be moved. If you do, it will eventually throw a 'steering angle implausible' error.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
AS mentioned, it should be done by adjusting the track rod ends, the garage that did the wheel alignment should have ensured the car drove straight on the wheel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How wonky is the steering wheel..?
Mine was like this ages ago, you could only just make out that it was to the right, literally 5 or 6 mm..but that kind of thing bugs me...!

I adjusted the tie rods, all it took was just 1/8 of a turn on each tie rod, so dont go giving it too much..!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How wonky is the steering wheel..?
Mine was like this ages ago, you could only just make out that it was to the right, literally 5 or 6 mm..but that kind of thing bugs me...!

I adjusted the tie rods, all it took was just 1/8 of a turn on each tie rod, so dont go giving it too much..!

Mine is about 10-15mm out, so i think i will have a go at doing it with the tie rods. Thanks for all the replies, this will be my first go at doing anything more than changing the oil!

Next job is to replace all 4 discs and pads, so stay tuned!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts