BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After everyone helped me changing my front disc and pads i thought ask for some help again, this time before i start :)

My front control arm bushes are pretty worn, was picked up as an advisory on its last MOT so is bound to be a failure this time, ive got some replacment ones ready to fit but was wondering what ill need, i noticed the bolts are 16mm holding the bushing mountings on, but i need to remove the plastic undercover and the "metal skidpan"? to get to the lower bolts, what tools do i need to remove them, also what about the old bushes themselves, will i be able to remove them by hand and or basic tools

I will be doing it at my friends garage so it will be on a ramp for easy access is, however the mechanics and their tools wont be available as ill be doing it at the weekend

Thanks in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
if they are not particulary worn they can be problematic removing, some use a 2 or 3 legged puller or just batter them off..

refiiting warm it up slightly so the rubber softens and a dose of washing up liquid..

not a skid pan its a reinforcment plate for the front chassis some say you cannot reuse the bolts as they are stretch bolts im not so sure on this tho..

have a look in the how to section vauxfan has done a how to..he used powerflex tho in the refitting..

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/how-to-fit-e46-front-wishbone-rear-bushes-t20306/

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah man!

Took my car to my mates garage and put it on his lift, removed the plastic cowling (well not the front bit it was just hanging down :( ) then removed the metal plate, is it just a sump guard as its not very substantial (and managed to snap one of the bolts.......) undid the bushing mounts just about to start smashing them off thought id check the new ones first and realised id been sent two left handed ones!!!!!!

Thank god i didnt remove the old ones first, its now back to gether minus one bolt holidng the guard on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nice easy job.
Remove the undertray and re-enforcement plate.
Undo the 16mm bolts holding the T.C.A brackets.
Apply glass cleaner over the bush and the rear part of the T.C Arm where the bush needs to slide off.
With a big screwdriver or bar that fits through the inner T.C.A bush bracket inner hole work the bush clockwise and anticlockwise whilst also applying pressure to the rear to work the bush off the arm until removed.

Make sure you get left and right the correct way round:D

Apply glass cleaner [think screenwash mix] to T.C Arm and inner part of bush, align bush with arm and with a firm heavy tap knock the new bush/with bracket on to the arm. Two decent taps with a large hammer usually does it.

The importance of using glass cleaner is that it dries out alowing the bush to grip the arm, silicone based lubes will remain and may cause the bush to work loose again.
refit all the bits you took off. Job done :thumbsup

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought a bolt removal kit as one has snapped whilst removing the plate :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm turns out it wasnt my control arm bushes making the knocking noise, although they were commented on the last mot so ive done them anyway, i looks llike its the drop link from the front arb, as the drivers side can be moved and it makes the noise that im hearing, is there a guide on how to replace them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been looking at doing the exact same replacement. The good inde around the corner from me has quoted £180 (!) so I figured I'd do this myself.
It's only my opinion but I'd look at getting a complete bracket + bush unit and replacing that rather than messing about trying to get bushes in and out.

In my head at least the replacement would go like this:

With a trolley jack, lift the car
Depending on how it looks & feels either leave the jack in place or put in some axle stands.
Take off the wheels
Take the skid pan off
Undo the 2 bolts holding on the control arms
Using a 3 legged puller from Screwfix (£15) pull off the old bushes + housing
Squirt a bit of washing up liquid on the new bushes
Push on new parts + a tap of a mallet
Put the bolts in
Lower car

the part I'm referring to for this is the "Meyle HD control arm mounting bracket set 300 311 2604/HD" at £56. A lot better than £180 which is just for new bushes in the old bracket!

Maybe an option? My internet research has scared me off trying to get the bushes in and out. Am I right to be wary, or is it fairly easy with basic car tools?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been looking at doing the exact same replacement. The good inde around the corner from me has quoted £180 (!) so I figured I'd do this myself.
It's only my opinion but I'd look at getting a complete bracket + bush unit and replacing that rather than messing about trying to get bushes in and out.

In my head at least the replacement would go like this:

With a trolley jack, lift the car
Depending on how it looks & feels either leave the jack in place or put in some axle stands.
Take off the wheels
Take the skid pan off
Undo the 2 bolts holding on the control arms
Using a 3 legged puller from Screwfix (£15) pull off the old bushes + housing
Squirt a bit of washing up liquid on the new bushes
Push on new parts + a tap of a mallet
Put the bolts in
Lower car

the part I'm referring to for this is the "Meyle HD control arm mounting bracket set 300 311 2604/HD" at £56. A lot better than £180 which is just for new bushes in the old bracket!

Maybe an option? My internet research has scared me off trying to get the bushes in and out. Am I right to be wary, or is it fairly easy with basic car tools?
I did it at the weekend and it was pretty much exactly how i did it, I didnt have a 3 arm puller unfortunately, and the old ones were stuck tight, I ended up using a angle grinder to cut them off which did the trick then used a chissel to get the last remaining part of the arm, wasnt pretty but did the trick, I actually went to a mates garage and used his lift rather than working on the ground which made things a lot easier

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Horray! One drop link replaced and the noise has gone :)

Was a bit of a chore tbh, mine was 16mm nuts for anyone who might do it themselves, also needed a spanner on the back to stop the thread spinning (my spanner was too thick too, which meant it got stuck when tightening it back up, luckily had my grinder at hand and made it thinner :) )

The other thing I had totally ignored was the fact the arb was under tension lol. so used a long crowbar to push it down whilst i tightened up the drop link nuts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bushes.... new replacement..

Thanks I have done the same job, the old ones eventualy came off with an angle grinder!!! But cant get the new ones on as far as they need, I am afraid to whack them as hard as I can in case I cause damage.... any ideas?? Should I just give them an almighty whack?

Replacement Bushes from GSF £40!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks I have done the same job, the old ones eventualy came off with an angle grinder!!! But cant get the new ones on as far as they need, I am afraid to whack them as hard as I can in case I cause damage.... any ideas?? Should I just give them an almighty whack?

Replacement Bushes from GSF £40!!!
hmmm mine went in really easily tbh, might have been easier as I had the car lifted off the ground so had much better access (thats presuming yours in on the ground?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks, Mate is lending me a screw up G clamp and a socket that will fit on the bush... he says that shold do the job as good as a garage press! Shame he doesn't have his garage and car lift anymore! Cos your right I am on the ground trying to do my best in a little space...
Thanks
Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts