BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi

First time ive ever attempted to change a set of discs but i thought i was pretty confident to go ahead. I watched a load of videos on youtube over and over so I had a pretty good idea of what to do so gave it a shot

Got the disc locating bolt off ok, removed the caliper bolts and caliper ok, then tied that with a strap to the spring, attmepted to undo the caliper carrier bolts (16mm) without any success, ive sprayed so much wd40 on them in attempt to loosen them but no luck, I think ive now damaged the head of the bolts as my socket and spanner just slip :(

Question is, can I grind the head of the bolts off and pull the carrier of the hub or is there a thread in the hub itself? I could then try to remove the bolts from the carrier in a vice or something and if not just get a new carrier and bolts.

Its a 2003 model if it makes any difference

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
can you see the head of the bolt? does it look damaged?

If the head is deffinatly damged, i would use a bit of heat from a blow torch on the bolt and a pair of stilsons on the bolt head, and a copper hide to tap the stillsons to get the bolts moving

but dont use stilsons on it unless they are wrecked

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you see the head of the bolt? does it look damaged?
I can, the edges look a little worn but when i put a 16mm socket on, it seems to be a good fit until you put some pressue on it and it just slips, the more i try to do this is just going to wear it even more im afraid, grinding seems a easy way but thats providing the mounts on the hub are not threaded?

Oh and i tried some heat on the bolt too but that didnt seem to help :(

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
You can grind it off, it's unthreaded in the hub, and i've done similar before.
If the bolts are still tight, you can try to other way which is to pop the caps on the sliders (the 2 rubber bits on the back) and unscrew these.
Allen key, fairly big, 8mm maybe.

You'll take the caliper off, but not the carrier. Others use this method, I usually take the entire caliper off, but I'm sure it's all doable from just those sliders.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yeh could grind the heads off, the carrier has the threads in so will still be left with the rest of the bolt to get out of that.
Try first to get a socket with six sides (not the more comon multiside ones) impact sockets are always six siders they grip much better.
Put that on and give the ratchet handle a bash with a hammer sounds rough but you need a quick shock to get the bolt moving without damaging the head anymore.

HTH

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is no thread in the hub, you should be able to do it that way. I second the above post, a good 6 point socket set and 18'' breaker bar can go a long way in preventing exactly this kind of issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers everyone much appreciated, one other thing, as a complete novice in this kind of thing, there not a weird reverse thread or something are they? Im trying to loosen by turning anti clockwise?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right, just been out and bought a impact socket, fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damn, got the top one off now the bottom one is slipping even with the impact socket :(

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
I disagree with grinding them off. They are in a particulary awkward place to get a grinder in so not particulary safe and gutting the bolt off with out damaging the carrier will be difficult.

If it were me I would heat the head of the bolt with a blow torch and then hammer on a 15mm socket. The use a breaker bar on it and youll find it should come off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just another question does anyone know the size of the bolts to hold the caliper holders onto the hub? Ive gone an put it back together now but will be ordering a couple of new ones from somewhere when I know the sizes, failing that ill strip it down again and take one along

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I disagree with grinding them off. They are in a particulary awkward place to get a grinder in so not particulary safe and gutting the bolt off with out damaging the carrier will be difficult.

If it were me I would heat the head of the bolt with a blow torch and then hammer on a 15mm socket. The use a breaker bar on it and youll find it should come off.
yeah thats what i will probably try next, grinding will have to be a last resort.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Before you grind - have to tried hammering on the nearest imperial sized socket? Imperial sockets are pretty useless these days, but I've often found they are a tiny bit smaller than the nearest metric - so if you foobar a bolt head you can ahmmer on the next size down imperial socket (or spanner).

If the head is buggered already, you're unlikely to make it worse!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
where the old bonko Gator grip socket comes in handy, they look a joke but are ideal for damaged bolt heads and stuff got me out of trouble a few times at work and home...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laser-2856-Socket-Survivor-Grips-Any-Size-Nut-1-2-Dr-/320636637376?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4aa76ed0c0

failing that weld another bolt onto it...

you should use coppa slip paste on all bolts like this on the suspension and brakes etc...

smash the head with a suitable hammer first to shock the bolt it will release its grip usually then trying to tighten it a bit before actually undoing it..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
where the old bonko Gator grip socket comes in handy, they look a joke but are ideal for damaged bolt heads and stuff got me out of trouble a few times at work and home...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laser-2856-Socket-Survivor-Grips-Any-Size-Nut-1-2-Dr-/320636637376?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4aa76ed0c0

failing that weld another bolt onto it...

you should use coppa slip paste on all bolts like this on the suspension and brakes etc...
gawd, ive not got any welding equipment :)

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
got a paint stripper gun?
warm it up nice and hot with one it sometimes helps aswell...

keep the heat local to the bolts tho...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got a paint stripper gun?
warm it up nice and hot with one it sometimes helps aswell...
I went out and bought a gas burner before, didnt seem to help much, think ill try heating it up again and whacking a 15mm socket on

1 - 20 of 36 Posts