BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm new here so please go easy on me lol

Ive just bought a 2003 "52" plate 320i
Basically have a really silly question, how do i tell if mine has Xenon or Halogen? is there a quick way of telling?

Also what MPG mixed driving should i expect to return?

At the moment CC on the motorway i got 33mpg.
Driving around town its now showing around 28mpg.

Is that good?

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
if you have xenon headlights you'll have washer jets in the bumper,self levelling headlamps and,afaik,lenses instead of a reflector.the lights will burst into life when turned on,then dim slightly before regaining their brightness.
mpg seems ok tbh...but i drive a 2.8 lol,so yours will seem ok lol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I used to get about 32 mpg average out of my old 2002 320 coupe so yeah that is about right. Just for reference my 330ci has self leveling lights with washers but are halogen an easy way to tell is if the headlights have projectors rather than reflective lenses and are superbright compared to the yellowish coulored halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are quite white... i have a manual leveling switch/no washer yets so i guessing they are halogen?

Does that mean i have to buy those add ons to make them angel lights?

Really sorry for dumb questions.. only had this car not even a week..

Find a new thing every time i get in it lol

·
Registered
753 Posts
do your dip beams look like this ? (ignore the angel eyes). If you want angel eyes in your lights they are something that needs to be added or you need to buy some new headlights with them built in. Search for e46 angel eyes in the styling forum theres a few posts on them

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, they go in and have a bulb at the end..

Guessing thats halogen??

Where would you get the Xenon upgrade kit + angel lights from?

Thanks for help!

P.s. I took a pic of sidelights. they show up yellow :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers mate :)

Ive been offered a BMW kit from a proper Xenon shop for £99 delivered. So i think i will get that. Not sure about the Angel Rings yet though, bit 50:50?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hehe depends how you drive it. I used to get about 400 miles to a tank in my 320ci but that was mostly motorway miles to and from work ti will naturally be lower around town.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
to be honest, its WELL worth it for the sound from the front..

Best sound ever!! Always gives me a smile!

Gonna get a K&N Panel filter in a couple of weeks :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been told this:

"With regadrs to the ccfl, stay clear of those you have to split the headlamp in two to fit them in and reseal it back togethger in an oven, it never works and is a nightmare of a job, just not worth it"

Is this true?

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
No its not true, I went nowhere near the oven! And mine do work, they're the same as in Bimmer320's above.

Yes it takes a while - took me a friend about 3 hours, but it wasn't overly difficult.
Yes you have to be careful and pay good attention to detail, and I'll admit that putting the rings in was a bit nerve-racking as I didn't want them to shatter!

You have to take the headlight units out, which involves also taking the indicators out.
Then you take the lense cover of the headlight units, place the CCFL rings onto the round lenses, then put a few pieces of masking tape over to hold the rings in place. Then you apply silicon adhesive and leave them to dry.

While those are drying you can be sorting out the wiring - this is probably the most tricky bit as it involves cutting or pulling apart the wires where the sidelight bulbs go.

Mine is an e36 and not an e46 though so the process may be slightly different

Most CCFL Angel Eye kits come with a manual, if not I have a manual in PDF form on my computer so if you want I could upload it so you could see fully what the process involves and then decide for yourself?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes you do have to heat up the glue on your type headlamps to get the glass off and then get it hot again to put the glass back on and let it set. The set i had had clip attatched to the rings so they fixed to the reflectors. Its quite a straightforward job to do

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh,

i think i will just get the Xenon lights and the LED sidelights/Fogs as they seem straight forward enough

Thanks for the help guys! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts