BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was on my way to work a couple of days ago and as usual it was pouring with rain as i drove through a deceptivly deep puddle my air bag warning light came on and has been on ever since.i tried disconecting the battery to see if it would reset but it didnt make any differance. any ideas what may have happened and how to fix it.Any advice would be greatfuly recived.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
is this going to be another passenger occupancy issue? That damned pad in the seat is likely to be one of the pet hates for many of us. 2 occasions in 2 years it has caused a warning light.

I recently had an airbag warning light pop up despite no passenger involved and nothing having changed (by which i mean nothing I had done as time alone can induce problems obviously) between parking it up at night and having the fault in the morning..

I bought a bypass unit off ebay (I know, some say its bad to do it, but still, I did) but didn't need to fit it as the light reset with the peake and never came back.

Might be worth looking for a peake SRS tool or similar. At least you can find what has caused it (all in the charts with the tool) without paying a stealer for the job.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To summerise what other people have said, Seat occupancy sensors in the seat are a common fault. To get the light to go out, you need a reset tool or software

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice, no one was in the passenger seat at the time, i suppose i will have to get the codes read to find the fault i suppose it could be any of the senors causing the problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was messing about with the back of the oe stereo connections (with battery still connected) trying to get my iPod to work and noticed the airbag warning light is now on - and has been for about 6months!
I'll wait til service time and get it read, but i was wondering if it was something I've sne has shorted something out??

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Just for reference, on one of the two previous occasions where the occupancy pad caused a fault, it happened long after anyone had sat in the seat. You cannot trust that little Bast'. Though it could obviously be something else entirely at fault. Either way, find what you are going to get hit in price for the code reading as a Peake or similar might cost you about the same. I was horrified at how much the dealers wanted to just plug in the reader and read the error code/s. I am not the first on here to get a fault light lock in from a mild hiccup in the cars electronics.

There are likely to be lots of threads with the tool involved. Solely to show the tool and not to say whether the price is good or bad, there is a link to one on ebay here. If it's a genuine fault it will either not reset or it will come back very quickly once you start driving. Otherwise you may be lucky to find it's one of the intermittent hiccups. Either way, it will at least identify the culprit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEAKE-R5-SRS-16-AIR-BAG-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-BMW-UNDER-DASH-/370476957385?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564225bec9

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorted. turns out there was a bad connection to the passenger seat belt tensioner and hitting the puddle must have been enough to break the connection. fingers crossed it stays ok, now i have had it reset

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Sorted. turns out there was a bad connection to the passenger seat belt tensioner and hitting the puddle must have been enough to break the connection. fingers crossed it stays ok, now i have had it reset
what did the reset knock you back out of interest

1 - 12 of 12 Posts