BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Thinking about upgrading the speakers in my car, I have the business head unit with a Dice iPod integration kit and want to improve the sound of the speakers. What would you recommend as replacements for the stock speakers. I don't want to run an amp, just replace the stock speakers with something decent that would run off the head unit as a direct replacement. Looking at replacing the front door mounted speakers and rear speakers.

Do these cars have seperate tweeters? can i just leave them in?

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd strongly advise getting a simple plug and play amp before doing the speakers, far more improvement per £ spent.

The two contenders for a simple amp update are the Sony 'Sound-On-Top' xm423sl, which is no longer made but comes up on e-bay often, and the Blaupunkt THA pnp series. Both of these plug directly into the back of the radio (with the correct ISO adapter) and are very easy to do.

There are several problems with just doing the speakers :

1) The stock speakers have 'odd' mountings, you can buy adapters or Rainbow IQ line plug in replacements, but neither are ideal.
2) The resistance of the stock speakers is 'odd', most replacements won't sound good as the amp expects this odd resistance.
3) The stock amp is very low power (4x15W).
4) The rear speakers in the E46 touring are a bit of a begger to get at.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my radio out when taking parts of the centre and dash out to fit a phone cradle, didn't notice any line outs - do they need wiring in?

The reason I'm relucant to put an amp in is the extra hassle of running the new wires etc.

Do these cars have a small factory amp in them or are the speakers direct out of the head unit?

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you don't have HK or Hi-Fi (extra speakers in the doors) then there is no extra amp.

Both Sony Sound-On-Top and Blaupunkt THA pnp are designed to use speaker level inputs, you get a vehicle specific harness and connect it all up, no cutting wires etc. The stock head unit has no line out connections.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If you don't have HK or Hi-Fi (extra speakers in the doors) then there is no extra amp.

Both Sony Sound-On-Top and Blaupunkt THA pnp are designed to use speaker level inputs, you get a vehicle specific harness and connect it all up, no cutting wires etc. The stock head unit has no line out connections.
Great work :thumbsup, I have no idea what you are going on about but it sounds good :rofl

Well I understand a bit :hihi......:embarrassed

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had been starting to wonder about this. I don't want to stick a sub in the boot but some better quality speakers for at least the parcel shelf and front doors would be nice.

I know you can get auto leasds connectors to take a feed from the speaker-outs on the back of the HU and plug into the RCA connectors of an amp, but I didn't realise there were amps out there that are designed to take that feed. Sounds very sensible to me!

Go into any reputable ICE shop and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you out.

For what it's worth, I can heartily reccomend Infinity for the back, and focal for the front.

mmmmmm focal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts