BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had the car just over a month now - it's been driving ok until the last couple of days - seems to struggle in 4th gear doing between 30-40 - I have to drop to 3rd - sure it would pull in 4th @30mph the other day.

Noticed that when doing around 30mph in 4th if I out my foot down (all the way or a bit) it doesn't pull and increase speed - the instant mpg needle also goes to the lowest figure.

Seems to be stalling a bit also.

Can't get it to a garage for a few days yet - am I best off just taking it to them and describing this - will they be able to diagnose it or will it cost money before they even get to a point of diagnosis

Any ideas what it could be so I could go armed with some info.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Get the codes read at the garage, could be cam sensor problem or MAF for instance, you could try unplugging the MAF and driving the car with the plug off to see if it goes better

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I have to pull that cover off marked 18 on the diagram (with the BMW badge on it)?

is it safe to run without the MAF connected for any length of journey or time - the reason I ask is because I drive from manchester to milton keynes on monday and wont be back until thursday night - the car is booked in for a diagnostics scan on friday.

·
Registered
199 Posts
No. 18 doesn't need to be removed mate. The panel in front of no. 18 will though. It isn't actually shown in that picture. The panel in question is held down with 5 or 6 allen head bolts.

I will see if I can find a picture of it for you

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just unplug the sensor, then go for a little drive. If it is your MAF, you should notice a huge improvement as soon as you begin to drive it.

When pushing hard with it uplugged, you may notice some excess smoke out the back. This I believe is due to the unburnt fuel.

Good luck

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would it be ok to drive with the MAF unplugged for a 150 mile motorway journey as I work in Milton Keynes and live in manchester so will need to drive there tomorrow morning and then back later in the week - will it be ok to do this?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would unplug it today and give it a go, if it doesn't make any difference then you obviously have another problem.

Do you have any problems starting the car?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would unplug it today and give it a go, if it doesn't make any difference then you obviously have another problem.

Do you have any problems starting the car?
Have just unplugged it - started car up ok - normally starts ok. The issue with the pulling power etc seems to be intermittent as yesterday at the start of my journey it was running fine for about ten minutes then started struggling and juddering a bit.

I will take it for a run later and let you know.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wouldn't like to say definately one way or the other. I will say though, I drove my last car, a 318Ci around for about 3 months with it unplugged. Must have covered a couple of thousand miles easy. I couldn't be bothered to change it and to be honest, was having a lot of fun with the added power, lol

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have just unplugged it - started car up ok - normally starts ok. The issue with the pulling power etc seems to be intermittent as yesterday at the start of my journey it was running fine for about ten minutes then started struggling and juddering a bit.

I will take it for a run later and let you know.
It is NOT the MAF

Have unplugged it this morning and ran it for a few miles - five minutes into the journey the loss of power started again - the juddering and also noticed that when setting off from standstill after this starts i hear a scraping sound and get a vibration from the front - this lead me to think its an issue with the brakes as the sound was like when you crawl the car with a bit of braking applied.

got out of the car and felt near the offside front wheel - could feel the heat from a few inches away - nearside front wheel was cold. This is after a five minute journey on 30mph roads.

So I now beleive the issue isn't with the MAF as it is currently disconneted and the offside front wheels is red hot.

will be taking it to the garage that did the brakes for the MOT (the day before the car was handed over to me by the seller) to see if they can sort it out.

Looking back now at all the symptoms it seems like this is the issue - the juddering, loss of power - it being intermittent etc.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rang the garage that did the MOT the day before I bought the car - They also replaced the front pads and discs.

They remembered the car and said they had to free up a seized piston in the caliper - looks like thats the issue that I've been having.

I've left the car with them to get the caliper replaced today - hopefully that will be the end of it.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fixed

Got the car back yesterday evening - they have replaced the drivers side calliper, the car seemed to behave a lot better on the short journey home.

Drove to Milton Keynes this morning (about 150 miles) It felt like a different car - it must have been slightly rubbing the whole time and only just got worse over the last few days as the car was very smooth today - I had thought the bushes must be going due to some juddering on the motorway - must have been the brake biting and pulling slightly.

Anyway I'm happy to say my car now runs great - hope it stays this way.

Calliper supplied and fitted for £150 inc vat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts