BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am having some problems with the steering on my 2003 E46 Touring. When I go over pot holes in the road the steering pulls quite badly. It pulls in both directions depending on the pot hole but usually to the left due to the camber of the road. Also when I drive on the joints in the road surface where there is a line of smooth tar or when driving on white lines the steering feels as though it is moving from side to side. The problems only seem to occur when driving straight. When I go round corners it drives perfect. I have had the front suspension lower arm ball joints replaced, this improved the problem slightly. The tracking and wheel balancing was done in November 2008 but I’m going to get it checked out again at the weekend. Does anyone have any ideas of what else could be causing the problem?

Thanks

**** :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bushes that I have had replaced are the rear control arm bushes. I have standard BMW 16" alloy wheels with Michelin run flat tires.

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The passenger side definitely needs replacing so I have ordered 2 new ones, I will fit them on Saturday and see if there is any improvement. If not I will investigate further to see if I can spot any other problems.
Thanks.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The bushes that I have had replaced are the rear control arm bushes. I have standard BMW 16" alloy wheels with Michelin run flat tires.

Thanks
Do you know what make of bushes they were replaced with? A couple of people have had problems with cheap bushes being too soft

·
Registered
77 Posts
got same prob on my 1996 318is its gone 10x worse since i put 18" on

just waiting for some good weather to have a look at the bushes

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that the bushes were the better quality ones from GSF. Im going to replace the stabilizer swing support bars and get the tracking done tomorrow. Hopefully il see an improvement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have replaced the front drop links today and the steering is loads better than before. The drop links were very bad, one of the passenger side bushes had split and grease was leaking out of it.

The steering is almost perfect now except for the tracking, it pulls to the left slightly, Im going to get that sorted some time this week.

While I had the tools out I checked the back drop links and they are worse than the front ones so I will replace them this week too.

So fingers crossed when I have had the tracking done, new rear drop links and I could do with 2 new back tires all should be perfect!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts