BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I have tried to search for a similar issue on here but cant find one.

I noticed yesterday that the engine has developed what I can ony describe as a tappet type noise.

Its noticeale above the usual engine noise on tickover and if revved steadily.

I have taken it to the garage I use who arent sure what it could be without getting up on the ramp (they arent cowboys so I'm not worried, I've used them for years) to have a look. However they did point out that the Crank Pulley looked as though it was moving back and forward if that sounds correct. Is this normal?

They advised not to drive the car until they've looked it.

Does anybody have any ideas or come accross something similar?

Many thanks in advance

Simon

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
I have replaced a couple of crank pulleys on 320d's before. The rubber damper cracks and fails and then causes the pulley to move and then the belt to come off...:frown

The last one I did was in 2 pieces with the metal outer part lying in the undertray. Best not to drive it if you can avoid it....:thumbsup

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi all

I have tried to search for a similar issue on here but cant find one.

I noticed yesterday that the engine has developed what I can ony describe as a tappet type noise.

Its noticeale above the usual engine noise on tickover and if revved steadily.

I have taken it to the garage I use who arent sure what it could be without getting up on the ramp (they arent cowboys so I'm not worried, I've used them for years) to have a look. However they did point out that the Crank Pulley looked as though it was moving back and forward if that sounds correct. Is this normal?

They advised not to drive the car until they've looked it.

Does anybody have any ideas or come accross something similar?

Many thanks in advance

Simon
Hi,
Haven't had a chance to have a proper look yet with the weather but mine has been ticking away for months now and I did find slight movement on the crank pulley. Did compare with another model the same and found slight movement on the pulley as well. If you find anything out would be very interested to see if it is the same problem.

Cheers.
Ally.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Could it be the cause of the noise?

How much is a replacement Pulley? Is this the part http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300336348828&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I can get away with not using the car for a week or so but its not ideal.
Thats the part. Thats a good price as they are nearly £300 from BMW...:eek

The pulley will have slight movement in it as the centre is rubber to dampen the engine vibrations. Should have more than a couple of mm of play though.
To see them properly you need to look underneath with the undertray off...:thumbsup

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have replaced a couple of crank pulleys on 320d's before. The rubber damper cracks and fails and then causes the pulley to move and then the belt to come off...:frown

The last one I did was in 2 pieces with the metal outer part lying in the undertray. Best not to drive it if you can avoid it....:thumbsup
Any special tools needed to remove the pulley, I am aware there is a tool to lock flywheel is it necessary to do the job ?:frown

Cheers.
Ally.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the part. Thats a good price as they are nearly £300 from BMW...:eek

The pulley will have slight movement in it as the centre is rubber to dampen the engine vibrations. Should have more than a couple of mm of play though.
To see them properly you need to look underneath with the undertray off...:thumbsup
There is certainly more than a few mm of movements in mine. They want to get the car on the ramp to have a good look.

Is it still driveable? The garage were concerned should it come off then with the inertia (at least 800 rpm) it could cause other damage aside from the belts coming off!!

The car has done 116k miles now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
Haven't had a chance to have a proper look yet with the weather but mine has been ticking away for months now and I did find slight movement on the crank pulley. Did compare with another model the same and found slight movement on the pulley as well. If you find anything out would be very interested to see if it is the same problem.

Cheers.
Ally.
Hi Ally

Have you continued to drive the car with no issues?

I am wary as i've had a pulley sheer of on another car and it did cause other damage....does your car make the same type of noise you would associate with tappets?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ally, had this happen to mine, tbh it wasnt that difficult a job, the hardest part for me was getting the plastic radiator cowling off without ripping my hands to shreds! lol

At 116k I would be tempted to replace the water pump and drive belts while I was at it, they arent that dear, if memory serves me correctly, Euro Car Parts were cheapest for the water pump, £30 odd, and they can supply one of the belts while GSF can supply the other! (Neither of them could supply both when I done mine, approx 6 months ago!)

P.S. It was around the 116k mark that mine went as well!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Ally

Have you continued to drive the car with no issues?

I am wary as i've had a pulley sheer of on another car and it did cause other damage....does your car make the same type of noise you would associate with tappets?
Hi,
Haven't been able to pin point the noise but I have been using the car with the noise for about 6 months and hasn't got any worse, was hopping it would develop so I could find out what it was. The noise I am getting is only at idle and when you put a few rev-es on it goes away, it sounds like a tinny taping noise no rhythm and sounds like it is coming from front or right hand side of the engine looking at the engine from the front. I cant recall if it was there before I changed the oil or not, now wondering if it is timing chain tensioner.
Have had my hand on front pulley and it moves very slightly couple of mm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ally, had this happen to mine, tbh it wasnt that difficult a job, the hardest part for me was getting the plastic radiator cowling off without ripping my hands to shreds! lol

At 116k I would be tempted to replace the water pump and drive belts while I was at it, they arent that dear, if memory serves me correctly, Euro Car Parts were cheapest for the water pump, £30 odd, and they can supply one of the belts while GSF can supply the other! (Neither of them could supply both when I done mine, approx 6 months ago!)

P.S. It was around the 116k mark that mine went as well!
Cheers for that info, was wondering how you release the pins that hold the front cowling. The worrying thing is mine has only don 54,000

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Mine is noticeable at idle and when adding a few revs. It too has no clear rythm and is intermittent.

I will certainly suggest changing all the belts whilst they have the front of the car off - thanks.

The pulley is very clearly moving on mine, also note there is a pipe beneath it that wobbles a lot too. Looks like either and oil pipe or power steering.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Mine is noticeable at idle and when adding a few revs. It too has no clear rythm and is intermittent.

I will certainly suggest changing all the belts whilst they have the front of the car off - thanks.

The pulley is very clearly moving on mine, also note there is a pipe beneath it that wobbles a lot too. Looks like either and oil pipe or power steering.
Have a close look at the pipes below the alternator I appear to have some small filings down there can see them glittering on the rubber pipe. Sounds like we both have the same problem, I am planing taking the belts off and starting it up to see if that eliminates the noise before I start chucking new parts on. Keep us up to date on any progress and I will also if weather gets a bit warmer and get a chance to investigate it further.
Cheers.
Ally.:thumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have a close look at the pipes below the alternator I appear to have some small filings down there can see them glittering on the rubber pipe. Sounds like we both have the same problem, I am planing taking the belts off and starting it up to see if that eliminates the noise before I start chucking new parts on. Keep us up to date on any progress and I will also if weather gets a bit warmer and get a chance to investigate it further.
Cheers.
Ally.:thumbsup
Car is going in on Monday to be looked at/fixed. They want a proper look on the ramp but noticed the pulley moving straight away.

I will update when/if it is repaired.

thanks again for everybodies input.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Car is going in on Monday to be looked at/fixed. They want a proper look on the ramp but noticed the pulley moving straight away.

No problem hope it isn't to painful and they find a fix.:)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts

Keep us posted with how you get on.....:thumbsup

·
Registered
740 Posts
So it seems a few of us have had this tappit type noise issue. Mine certainly developed while I had the car and didn;t have it before.

Have a look at this thread
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/2003-320d-e46-pinking-sound-t17745/

there are others if you use the search term pinking.

I haven't checked the pully in mine but will do...have been driving it for about 8 months or so now and it may have gotten a bit louder...It kinda goes away under load/heavy acceleration.

Tempted to have injectors look at as I'm thinking of changing the glow plus as well so I could do all at once..

Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sorry folks, One other point/question

Is the crank pully the one at the bottom of the v-belt to the right of the engine as you look in...sits kind of below the alternator...

if someone could point me to the real OEM section I;d be most grateful...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry folks, One other point/question

Is the crank pully the one at the bottom of the v-belt to the right of the engine as you look in...sits kind of below the alternator...

if someone could point me to the real OEM section I;d be most grateful...
Crank pulley is right at the bottom of the engine in the center, you can get your hand down and feel if there is any movement. If Its a common problem a am surprised no body has the answer. Anything above idle and the noise on mine goes away, doesn't sound like injectors. Will wait and see if Simon has any joy on Monday before I start stripping it down.:eek

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok chaps here we go...............

The Crank Pulley is the issue, however it has caused other damage whilst its been deteriorating over time. The excessive movement has ruined 2 tensioner pulleys, a deflector pulley and 2 belts.

What the garage have said is the way the belts crossover has meant that the noise from the pulley isnt evident staright away. The belts rub on each other and take up some of the slack, until over time, they cannot do that any longer and they themselves are worn - this then allows the pulley movement to become more obvious with the metallic sound mentioned previously.

The end result is going to be a £300 + bill (not bad I thought as it includes labour) and whilst its in I have asked them to do an interim service as it makes sense to put some clean oil through it again.

Hope that helps. Will report back when I pick the car up later in the week.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts