BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI- im thinking to change my gearbox oil as my gears are not changeing smoothly clutch seems to be fine Anybody can tell me what grade oil to use for the gearbox?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need MTF-LT-2, BMW part no 83 22 0 309 031.

Don't use any other oil as this can destroy the syncromesh and lead to really poor shifting.

The previous owner of my car obviously had tried to sort out the shifting problems by changing the gearbox oil.
I don't know which kind of oil he used but I literally had to pay for his choice of oil.
My local indy (BMW experts) changed the oil back to MTF-LT-2 twice but to no avail, the gearbox had to be replaced.

I'm no expert on gearboxes but I know from my own experience that using wrong kind of oil can lead to costly repairs.

K

·
Registered
498 Posts
There should be a coloured sticker on the side of the gearbox.Showing what to put in it. IF the box shows MTF-LT2. You can use any top quality 75w-80 FULLY SYNTHETIC.

To buy the oil from BMW costs a bomb and is a rip off..

I use Fuchs 75w-80 Titan sinto fluid fully synthetic,which you can get from http://www.opieoils.co.uk/
This oil is fully BMW Approved also..

Forum members also get a good discount too.

But check that gearbox sticker first..

·
Banned
576 Posts
'Don't use any other oil as this can destroy the syncromesh and lead to really poor shifting.'

Where do people get this rubbish? It's just a normal manual g'box like any other and isn't even made by BMW, and they didn't manufacture the oil that was added at the factory either, which isn't of particularly high quality! Just use a quality oil that meets spec and the g'box will just about last forever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sprintman:

You did notice that I wrote can destroy the syncromesh?
That is not the same as stating that it will cause the shifting to go bad.

I know, from first hand experience, that using the wrong kind of oil can cause problems.
For me it is a simple decision,; I use the BMW oil to be sure that I'm not going to have a problem with this in the future.
If you want to use and/or recommend another kind of oil, be my guest.

Where do people get this rubbish?
This is what I have been told by the guys at my local BMW indy who has been working with BMW's since the late 60's. Feel free to question their knowledge and experience if you want! I actually got a rather long and thorough explanation but seeing now that it was just rubbish I will forget all of it...

Maybe you can do the OP a favour and suggest a suitable quality oil that meets the spec?

Btw: I am Norwegian and maybe my interpretation of this word is completely off, but if not, this is a word that you don't use to describe my statements.
Now, if you excuse me, I'll go and have a look in my favourites for bmwland ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts