BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

On the instrument panel, there is a Display for Check Control,As shown on the attached picture. The rear botten light (no.4) is on this morning. What it is mean, I check the car from ourside, neither the brake light or the rear fog light is not on, they are on normal working condition.

By the way, the front light (no. 1) did on before once, but after I switch off the car and restart it, I think the OBC recheck the car, it is off.

thanks for help.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If the bulbs are all fine then check the wiring plug that goes on to the rear of the light cluster. :thumbsup

·
Registered
740 Posts
sometimes these rust up a little and you get what looks like an intermittant break. Like the guys said, inspect and clean, should be good for another while..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did what Ronnie said.

check the brake lights after work, the offside rear brake bulb has gone. will get it changed. thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another issue with these is the earth wire on the rear cluster loom carries too much power and shorts out. I had warning lights on both sides on the dash... looked at the connectors and they were both bad.

Stop at BMW dealer as no breakers have the cluster housings (regular fault so all gone). Got new bulb housing, connector and fatter wires... good as new.

BTW, you can get wiring instructions from BMW for a better earthing system so you don't have to keep replacing parts in the future!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
problem solved.

the wire must be loose, I disconnected it and plug it in, the light on dash gone, the brake light bulb on again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had something like this - the local BMW dealer told me I has "weak" rear lights and wanted to charge me £100+ to fix it. Certainly the left side cluster was dimmer than the right.
I found the "rear light earth wire upgrade" info on this forum - even with the BMW instructions on what they do for their £100+ - and did it myself.
Took me well under an hour and a couple of £ for some wire and connectors!
Never had the indicator come on since and no longer have "weak" rear lights!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts