BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you put an induction kit such as K&N on a diesel - does it benefit the car?

I've looked on the K&N websote and all they have for the 320D is the replacement lifetime filter for the standard filter box.

Is an induction kit available and does it bring the same increases as for the equivalent petrol car.

Thanks.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the remap done on my previous car a volvo v40 1.9d and know what kind of difference it makes, will do this again onthis car when I get some more pennies, I'll get the replcament k&n type one that goes in the factory box then.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I may be wrong, but I did hear about the K&N filters causing trouble with the 320d MAF sensor. I'm sure that because the K&N has an oil based filter, it causes the MAF to clog up with dirt quite quickly.

Like I said, I may be wrong about this. Hopefully someone will confirm or shoot me down, lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
i think by dirt he means residue from the oil

G

·
Sorry to drag up an old thread but did anybody ever find out if this was true or not? I wouldn't mind getting a replacement filter for my 320D but not if it's going to cause issues with the sensor.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread but did anybody ever find out if this was true or not? I wouldn't mind getting a replacement filter for my 320D but not if it's going to cause issues with the sensor.
Have a look at the Pipercross filter, iirc it isn't oiled like K&N and I'm sure forum vendor Motech Performance were fitting them free with a purchased remap earlier this year. :thumbsup

·
Registered
640 Posts
Most oil based filter problems have occured due to being oiled too much. I do try and steer people away from them to be on the safe side.
On a side note, I doubt you will find any induction kits for most diesel engines and certainly not for bmw's due to them using the airbox on the side of the engine (correct me if anyone knows different).
Also there are no benefits from an induction kit on a diesel engine due to the combustion process of a diesel, which is probably why you won't find them being made as car specific kits. :)
Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
121 Posts
K&N Fitlers are oil and CAN result in the MAF been damaged/not working correctly due to the oil from the filter being pulled through ... personally i would go with a dry filter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.