BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

Just had my local garage run a diagnostics for me as i've been having a few starting problems at various points through out the day (mostly mornings).

I've had a crack at checking and changing some relays but not had much luck, i think its going to be a little more expensive than that!

Here are the fault codes from the diagnostics:

4B90 Rail Pressure Control at Engine Start - Intermittent

4302 Quantity Regulation Valve - Activation interrupted - Fuel Delivery Valve - Intermittent

4212 Glow Plug Cyl 1 - Activation Interrupted
4232 Glow Plug Cyl 3 - Activation Interrupted
4242 Glow Plug Cyl 4 - Activation Interrupted - Intermittent
3FF0 Air Flow Meter
4162 Raise Pressure Pump - Activation Interrupted

I've obviously got to start somewhere, but knowing where to start is the question. I understand the glow plug errors are unlikely to be linked to the fuel pressure errors so would do well to replace the pump under the passenger seat (pre-supply pump) and see how i get on?

Any tips/help would be much appreciated, im hoping there is a little more info in this post than my last for people to chew on :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, i did have a read of that yes.

There are no "strange" noises and she runs perfectly fine when im belting it down the M40 every day.

The car starts most of the time during the day, but in the mornings when turning the ignition key, the DDE coil light flickers on and off, the temp guage goes up to hot, and the engine light next to the DDE light remains unlit.

If i wait about 1 minute with the ignition on, the DDE light comes on, the temp guage goes back down to blue and the engine light comes on, acompanied by a noise under passenger side seat, which im guessing is one of the three fuel pumps. (im not entirely sure if this engine light is directly linked to this pump( if it is maybe i should call it the pump light)

So with that in mind and the fact i have tried the relays with no luck i've ordered 1 x Fuel Pump from world car parts. (yeah i know cheap as chips, but i dont want to pay over the odds with a BMW part which might not work)

£70 has to beat going down the injector/glow plug route for now, although i will get a friend at work to do the glow plugs for me soon. It seems a couple of them are struggling! I'll let you know if this new pump fixes it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
BMW 320D SE E46 2001 Code Error

Hi Guys, any help will be truly appreciated.

I have recently had a diagnosis for my BMW 320D E46 year 2001 for 3 years and has been great but the diagnosis has reported the following errors and I would really appreciate if you guys can tell me what it means I have no idea and also if you have the same issues and the cost of the items. But to start with here are the symptoms which made me enquire and request for the diagnosis.

The car would start well, but lack power when driven, and when parked it doesn't start straight away.

Error Codes:

* 4507 (Exhaust Gas recirculation Control Deactivation) I have no idea what this is and where it is situated and how much it cost.

* 4530 (Charge Air Pressure Control Small Turbo...) Again no idea.

* 3EC0 (Camshaft Sensor) I think I know what this is, but don't know how much it cost.

* 4B90 (Rail Pressure Monitoring Engine Start) No idea...

* 4B71 (ZMS Pulsation) Nop Defo no idea.

Can anybody tell me if you have experienced the above issues on a diagnosis and if they have change all of the above or any advise... Please please please.

Romeo

·
Registered
253 Posts
* 4507 (Exhaust Gas recirculation Control Deactivation) I have no idea what this is and where it is situated and how much it cost.
first check all pipes around agr
RealOEM.com   BMW E46 320d INTAKE MANIFOLD SYSTEM-AGR
control:
RealOEM.com   BMW E46 320d Vacuum control-AGR

* 4530 (Charge Air Pressure Control Small Turbo...) Again no idea.
dont know why " small tuobo " but here all control:
RealOEM.com   BMW E46 320d VACUM CONTROL-ENGINE-TURBO CHARGER

* 3EC0 (Camshaft Sensor) I think I know what this is, but don't know how much it cost.
will not tell you parts cost

* 4B90 (Rail Pressure Monitoring Engine Start) No idea...
fuel pressure in CR while starting the engine - many people driving with that problem. May by fuel pump damaged or valve in pump or valve in CR

* 4B71 (ZMS Pulsation) Nop Defo no idea.
4B71/08 - ZMS Pulsation----------------->Zweimassenschwungrad(volant bimasse)
- leave for later or reset all codes and make a drive and read it again - double mass wheel problem - may be related to other problems

·
Registered
253 Posts
Camshaft sensor (if still throwing error) you have to buy.
Turbo and egr (agr)-you have to check/clean all pipes. Clean egr valve and clean small air filters just before them (that's typical problem -dirt). If you done it clear codes and drive again.
One more question. Is your car M47 or M47N because in that production year possible both. There are differences between them. So go to realoem put yor vin and find same drawings. Then you'll know what exactly in your car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi

I think you glow plug errors simply indicate that you glow plug needs to be replaced.

I fixed some errors reg Air Flow Meter, Manifold Pressure (also turbo pressure) and Atmosphere Pressure! by replacing all of the vacum hoses. That’s a low cost maintenance that is positive for your car.

Reg. your fuel related errors, make sure your fuel filter is ok. And that the pump is running.

Cheers
ojo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Strange

Hi guys, thanks for your help, you guys been great.

Got the glow plug changed, cleaned out the egv valve then ran the diagnostic and guess what. All the codes went off and a new one came on which I think is an easy fix: oil level sensor.

Will keep you posted to see if things stay same or changes.

Thanks again.

Romeo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

The cars runs smoothly but I'm still experiencing loss of power not sure what to do now. Shall I change all the timings highlighted in the diagnostic. Must I change the fuel pump relay as some of you mentioned? Because I hear it priming loud and clear under the passenger side.

Please help.

R

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

The cars runs smoothly but I'm still experiencing loss of power not sure what to do now. Shall I change all the timings highlighted in the diagnostic. Must I change the fuel pump relay as some of you mentioned? Because I hear it priming loud and clear under the passenger side.

Please help.

R

If the pump cuts in every time you turn on the ignition you don't need to change the relay.

On mine it became intermittent and only cut in on the fifth turn of the key, and then sometimes after waiting a minute with the ignition on. Relay fixed that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys

More news: while driving my battery light came on then abs then airbag then traction control and hand break. Called RAC and they said alternator.

The RAC also said that lack of power could also be my clutch and flywheel .

So I've looked at prices for alternator some are cheap and some are plain rip off, need advise as to where to get reasonable priced alternator and clutch kit. Last month I booked a family holiday and now money going into my BM :(

R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone

Managed to get my alternator changed just under £100.

It's come to light now that it's the camshaft sensors that are causing the problems? But they're not cheap, anyone know where I can get them cheap?

Thanks

R

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys

Got the camshaft sensor changed only needed one cost £ 40 from eurocar parts and very simple job. Now the car don't have any problems starting but the issue of lacking power is still there.

Any idea how to resolve the lack of power?

Cheers

R

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi sorry to ask is it a lack of power from the turbo? i had a similar problem and found it to be the MAP sensor under the intake manifold, mine had got contaminated with oil, it worked for a bit after cleaning it but ended up replacing it and now no power issues it also fixed the charge air fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys.

Just had my local garage run a diagnostics for me as i've been having a few starting problems at various points through out the day (mostly mornings).

I've had a crack at checking and changing some relays but not had much luck, i think its going to be a little more expensive than that!

Here are the fault codes from the diagnostics:

4B90 Rail Pressure Control at Engine Start - Intermittent

4302 Quantity Regulation Valve - Activation interrupted - Fuel Delivery Valve - Intermittent

4212 Glow Plug Cyl 1 - Activation Interrupted
4232 Glow Plug Cyl 3 - Activation Interrupted
4242 Glow Plug Cyl 4 - Activation Interrupted - Intermittent
3FF0 Air Flow Meter
4162 Raise Pressure Pump - Activation Interrupted

I've obviously got to start somewhere, but knowing where to start is the question. I understand the glow plug errors are unlikely to be linked to the fuel pressure errors so would do well to replace the pump under the passenger seat (pre-supply pump) and see how i get on?

Any tips/help would be much appreciated, im hoping there is a little more info in this post than my last for people to chew on :D

Thanks!
Did you ever find the fault?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts