BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E46 320ci Sport - Wheel Alignment Results - Verify as car is worse

I would like a second opinion on the wheel alignment I have had from fellow land members. I used http://www.alignmycar.co.uk to find a local family run outfit to do the work.

Quick Overview
- Right Hand drive 2003 E46 320ci Sport (Automatic).
- At 56000 Miles (90000 KM), Front Control Arm Bushes changed and subsequently a wheel alignment carried out afterwards.
- Wheel Alignment centre used a Hunter System.

Before Alignment:
* Front tyres - Even wear across front tyres
* Rear tyres - Centre/Inside wearing away. Characteristics of rear wheel drive.

During Alignment:
- The engineer said he had to set the Front Left settings to Max as anything less remained red. He could not find a problem with the shock absorber, etc.

After Alignment:
Nearly 4000 miles (6400 KM) later since the Wheel Alignment:
- Car drifts around.
- The ride has become progessively unbearable where i feel every bump on the road.
- The front outer edge of the tyres are wearing away.
- The read outer edge of the tyres are wearing away. Inside was worn before the alignment and characteristics of rear wheel drive.
- Print out of actual alignment results viewable on flicker by following URL.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6039425991/

Can’t comment on if the car was tightened at ride height or weighted down, as I left the car and returned when the job was completed. I won’t be making that mistake again

Clearly the alignment has caused adverse wear on all four tyres. Before I take it back to the Wheel Alignment centre, can anyone suggest what the correct settings should be?

·
Registered
340 Posts
The after printout seems fine.

Only thing thats bothering me is why is the left setting on full? Is there play in the track rod or rack itself, thats what i would be thinking.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jatt,

Before i had it tracked there was play in the steering/ nose when you shimmy the steering. The aligner couldnt identify from where it was at the time. The play is still there, had a root around today and found the lower joint on the steering coupler is making a nose.

It's going for an MOT next week, so while it's on the ramps will get them to pay closer attention to the suspension and confirm my suspicions that the steering rack coupler is failing.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
E46 320ci Sport - Wheel Alignment Results - Verify as car is worse

I would like a second opinion on the wheel alignment I have had from fellow land members. I used http://www.alignmycar.co.uk to find a local family run outfit to do the work.

Quick Overview
- Right Hand drive 2003 E46 320ci Sport (Automatic).
- At 56000 Miles (90000 KM), Front Control Arm Bushes changed and subsequently a wheel alignment carried out afterwards.
- Wheel Alignment centre used a Hunter System.

Before Alignment:
* Front tyres - Even wear across front tyres
* Rear tyres - Centre/Inside wearing away. Characteristics of rear wheel drive.

During Alignment:
- The engineer said he had to set the Front Left settings to Max as anything less remained red. He could not find a problem with the shock absorber, etc.

After Alignment:
Nearly 4000 miles (6400 KM) later since the Wheel Alignment:
- Car drifts around.
- The ride has become progessively unbearable where i feel every bump on the road.
- The front outer edge of the tyres are wearing away.
- The read outer edge of the tyres are wearing away. Inside was worn before the alignment and characteristics of rear wheel drive.
- Print out of actual alignment results viewable on flicker by following URL.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6039425991/

Can’t comment on if the car was tightened at ride height or weighted down, as I left the car and returned when the job was completed. I won’t be making that mistake again

Clearly the alignment has caused adverse wear on all four tyres. Before I take it back to the Wheel Alignment centre, can anyone suggest what the correct settings should be?
I took the wifes Hyundai Santa Fe to have the tracking done, ours is a 2006+ model, he tracked it for a 1999-2006 model, totally different and felt like crap when I left, they re-tracked it and refunded me straight away.

Worth checking they did the right car and right model (M sport vs standard)

You need to check your lollipop bushed as well (rear front wishbone bushes) The way to test is to jack the wheels up a little but not all the way so the wheel is off the ground and grab the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock and tug from side to side, while doing this, either look or get somebody to look at the lollipop bushes and see how much movement there is in the centre if the bush. This post will show you what you are looking for http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f3/how-to-fit-e46-front-wishbone-rear-bushes-t20306/

btw you don't work at IBM per chance (Sterling)

Edit: saw your new post! obviuosly replaced the lollipops!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matt,

Replaced the lolliop style bushes i.e Control Arm rear bushes and then had the car 4 wheel aligned.

Was pottering around the car yesterday to figure out what is wrong with it and found there is play in the lower joint of the steering coupler. Maybe this is contributing to the problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi Matt,

Replaced the lolliop style bushes i.e Control Arm rear bushes and then had the car 4 wheel aligned.

Was pottering around the car yesterday to figure out what is wrong with it and found there is play in the lower joint of the steering coupler. Maybe this is contributing to the problem.
The steering coupler would give you a loose steering but wouldn't throw the alignment off. I never let them feck about with the automatic settings on the alignment machine, I just ask them to do a manual 2mm toe in on each front wheel (max by e46 manual). Can't go wrong with that!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allegedly, the technican had been trained. Need to ask whether the car was weighted and ride height checked after the amendments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts