BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered how much oil if any my 320ci should be using? I think i may have a faulty sensor (amber) that comes on in the morning when i start the car but goes out after a few minutes. When i check the oil level it's fine and i monitor the oil regularly however after a period of about 4 weeks the oil level drops from max to roughly min? Just wondered if this is normal consumption or do i have a leak or something more serious. I do about 2000 miles a month mainly motorway driving.

Also i use recommended 0-30w fully synthetic long life oil recommended, so i'm told for this model of car. I change oil and filter every 7500 miles due to covering a lot of miles. Will using a more common (cheaper) grade of oil make any difference as the 0-30w is quite expensive £65 for 8 litre's. Also i'm quite sure the indepenent garage that services my car doesn't use this grade of oil when servicing?

Any feedback gratefully appreciated!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You could use Fuchs Titan SuperSyn 0w/30- its around 55 squids for 8 litres and is a BMW approved oil..............again, don't be put off that its cheap, its actually a very good German mad oil is as what BMW's, Mercs and VAG cars come filled with from the factory.

You can pick some up from GSF or at Opieoils.co.uk.

As for the amber light coming on, that's pretty normal- as Mark said, they are prone tom playing up but much more on the 330's though for some reason.

Just keep an eye on the oil level..........you'll be ok.

You could try and use a slightly thicker oil if you are worried about the amount of oil that the cars is drinking............but remember dude, this is a beemer- they drink oil compared to other motors.

you could try a 5w/40 Fuchs Titan fully synthetic..........that is also BMW approved but is not the long-life oil but this grade of oil will also be fine for your car..........plus it is cheaper too, around 40 squids for 8 litres. The thicker grade may help with oil consumption.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would buy fuchs titan 5w40 super synthetic, its about £17 for 4L from GSF.

I just filled up my 320d with it, its dirt cheap and bmw approved.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys i think i'll change to the 5w-40 full synthetic seeing as i'm changing every 7500 miles and my mind has also been put at rest was starting to worry that the consumption might be something more serious!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts