BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2003 e46 320cd Switching cassette/sat nav with different unit,easy or not?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  legendkie 
#1 ·
Hiya guys,

Im looking to get rid of my cassette/sat nav console in my 320cd (2003), and exchange it with either a double din unit or a similar unit but with cd rather than cassette, is it just a straight exchange?

Please see pic attached! (mine is slightly different in that it has a small sat nav screen on the right hand side.....)

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Ps apologies to the moderating guys for the title previously.....school boy mistake!

#2 ·
Hello

To extend the system to double din is a lot of work, the thermostat come in the way of the unit so that needs to be trimmed to fit double din system.

I tried getting estimate of the job and noone quoted less than £300 for the job, seems like it’s a day’s job.

Also if you are planning to use some of the stuff in the market at the moment like Alpine and all that, you need to buy the facia as well, which would cost another £100-130, since there is no company which makes this and someone makes it by hand.

Hope this is helpful, let us know how you progress.

Cheers

#3 ·
There are two types of those small nav systems, one has the radio module built in, so all the wires are up front, the other has a radio module in the boot (like the full screen Nav) which makes any retrofit more involved as all the speaker wires are in the boot too.

There is a company called Dynavin that has just started making an E46 specific nav unit, there have been reports of some problems, but worth doing a search.

As stated above true Double DIN in an E46 is not easy, but a touch screen monitor is not so bad, gets expensive though.

#4 ·
Motorised screen upwards would be easier (single din) ..... or otherwise single din. The e46 is not the easiest car to undertake an ICE install in due to the original stereo being wider than any aftermarket stereo and the thermo being right underneath. Facia's come in many moulds (centre, off centre and varying qualities of plastic). I had my pioneer avic x1 (single din motorised touch screen with sat nav) installed and it was still £300 due to needing a speed pulse, facia's, steering wheel adapter, etc etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.