BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2003 E46 320 - Clutch - What happened??

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  DSK 
#1 ·
I was at the traffic lights, i was holding it on the biting point. The lights went green i accelerated off lifting the clutch up, as you do.

It accelerated to 10mph, then the rpm shot up, it felt like my clutch was in. But i wasnt gaining speed. I droped the clutch and moved it into 2nd, nothing happened, just revved.

I started to pull over with my clutch in, then i tried again in 2nd, and it bit and drove normally from then on.

What happened?? I'm confused lol

#3 ·
Shouldn't hold cars on the biting point (can't understand why one earth almost everyone i see during rush hour does), it will only wear your clutch prematurely.

It could be the very early sign of a clutch issue, but i would wait a short while until it happens again so that you can be sure its the clutch.

#4 ·
No, feels the same.. still at the 3/4 mark.

Could it just be a one off? or do i need it to be looked at?

I thought the clutch adjusted automatically on them?

I wasnt expecting the lights to be on red for the period they were, and i was in rush...

#5 ·
If it's driving fine again then like DSK has mentioned don't worry too much. I would keep it in the back of your mind though and add it to your budgeting schedule just in case:thumbsup

Money, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it:rofl

Wish I took notice of that saying:hihi

#11 ·
Clutch job should be circa £300 ish give or take. Would also be worth getting a quote from BMW as they aren't as bad as what people think for this sort of thing!

Problem with the clutches is that it will only be as good as the person that fits it. Get someone who knows how the do the job right and you'll have a lovely clutch, get it done from just any ol' place and you'll have clutch judder/other clutch niggles within a week or so!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.