BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anyone say if this vehicle is a front wheel drive or a back wheel drive. I have having major problems driving in the snow. lots of skidding etc

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
All BMW's (excluding the Mini) are rear-wheel drive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok mates thanks, could that be the reason why i am having so many problems in the snow, i have seen other car like kia, nissan etc getting through but mine cant

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i agree with you mate, i had a honda before and never ever have this problem. i will take my asc off later and try to go up my road and see what happen

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Except for some US models :thumbsup
Really? Which ones?

I know the X range is largely AWD and that so are some saloons, but no front-wheel drive cars as far as I'm aware...

·
Registered
66 Posts
ok i agree with you mate, i had a honda before and never ever have this problem. i will take my asc off later and try to go up my road and see what happen
best to accept the limitation and just dont use it in the snow - or you may regret it if you hit something!

·
Registered
16 Posts
bm's are just crap in the snow mate, not a lot you can do about it. small fwd will have it a lot easier.
Tell me about it, yeterday i was fish tailing all the way up the a2!I thought it was just cos i had an auto box that it was crap in the snow.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Tell me about it, yeterday i was fish tailing all the way up the a2!I thought it was just cos i had an auto box that it was crap in the snow.
Auto box's are normally better for snow driving, they let you put the power down less abruptly from a start and provide continuous drive to the rear-wheels (a bad gear change in the snow can cost you).

A lot of the 'poor snow handling' is down to having a car with a large tyre footprint, and not having all/most of the weight over the drive wheels. That's why little hatchbacks have it easy at this time of year...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts