BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i cleaned my car yesterday and it was all fine, but today i went to start it up and some weird things occured.

I lowered the handbrake, and put it into reverse, the car sort of "rocked" when i did this. I started to go backwards, all i heard was a sort of snaping noise, and then the engine cut out. So i tried to start it again and move forward, and i was able to do so and drive around the block no problems.

Anyone know what this could be?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup, drives fine after going around the block.

some guys on another forum think that because i it stood wet over night(thouroughly washed the car yesterday) the brakes had "seized" due to rust, and i stalled it when reversing(i think i did), they said driving it and braking would just make it normal again.

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
yup, drives fine after going around the block.

some guys on another forum think that because i it stood wet over night(thouroughly washed the car yesterday) the brakes had "seized" due to rust, and i stalled it when reversing(i think i did), they said driving it and braking would just make it normal again.
Thats what i was thinking Kev. Sounds like the handbrake shoes got a bit rusty when you washed it and stuck on ;)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Also try pulling the handbrake on whilst driving gently and see if there are any noises and to check it slows you down, it "could" even be the handbrake shoes lining come adrift
Common fault. Also the drums in the discs can corrode and because they never seem to get removed it doesnt get noticed till its too late :frown

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thsi always happens within hours of washing a car. Always best to just take it for a spin around the block after a wash before you leave it parked up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.