BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Really daft questions coming up here but if I don't ask then I wont know... :thumbsup

Just checked all the tyre treads and the front two are 6mm. That is great, the rear ones are a different story though. Passenger side is 3mm and the drivers side is 6mm. I reckon one was changed and not the other before I got thr car :mad

Is it best to change them both now so they are the same tread depth or wait until the less of the two is down another 1mm?

I really don't know :confused Help... please...

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
the legal tread depth is 1.6mm i belive

So you have a bit to go,

I personnaly would change them in pairs, otherwise you are gonna be messing arround and changing them at diffrent times

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the legal tread depth is 1.6mm i belive

So you have a bit to go,

I personnaly would change them in pairs, otherwise you are gonna be messing arround and changing them at diffrent times
Thanks mate :thumbsup so you think just wait until the tyre with the least tread is a little more worn then replace them both at the same time? I would have replaced them as a set anyway;)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Thanks mate :thumbsup so you think just wait until the tyre with the least tread is a little more worn then replace them both at the same time? I would have replaced them as a set anyway;)
i would as long as its legal, wear it down a bit more then go and get them both replaced

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If its not causing any problems with your traction control/tram lining then i'd do as Sam says and wear the tyres down.

Or if you wanted to, you could swap alloys front to rear and get two new tyres for the front that way they'd last alot longer too :thumbsup
Ahh - never thought about changing them over. As far as I am aware it is not affecting the TC just now. Could it have an impact if I was to swap front to back? If anything it should be the opposite right?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Ahh - never thought about changing them over. As far as I am aware it is not affecting the TC just now. Could it have an impact if I was to swap front to back? If anything it should be the opposite right?
As long as its the same size tyre on each axle its fine. Its when the tread wear's down unevenly on the same axle that the traction control gets funny sometimes.

If its the wheels in your sig then it shouldn't give you any problems swapping front to back :thumbsup

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As long as its the same size tyre on each axle its fine. Its when the tread wear's down unevenly on the same axle that the traction control gets funny sometimes.

If its the wheels in your sig then it shouldn't give you any problems swapping front to back :thumbsup
Thanks for the advice mate - really appreciate it :thumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts