BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW round trip meter will not go back to zero although I have press the left hand nobb. I have tried it a few times. Any Help

·
Registered
11 Posts
One way to test to see if the button is making contact is to do the following.

Press and hold the trip reset button and turn the ignition key to the first position.
Keep the button pressed for approximately 5 seconds until one of the following words appear in the display: “OIL SERVICE, or “INSPECTION”, with “RESET".

If these meassages don't come on, then I'm guessing dirt between the contacts of the switch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I have tried all that already and it wont re-set, any advise what i can do to solve this prob?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that sound like ill have to take it to a garage to get it done. any idea how much it might cost?

·
Registered
207 Posts
i have the same problem with mine, BMW picked up on it when it went for its service, i got quoted £230 inc fitting+vat for a new cluster (which i dont think is bad to be honest) but i have for the moment decided just to live with it, you can pick up a used cluster for about £100 but you will need to have it coded or it with show up the tamper dot, and some of the fuctions may not work (well that is the advice the service guy at BM gave me)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks, i will take it to a local garage and see what happens. I suppose it can be repaired instead of a complete replacement. Because its not working would that button also stop the inspection indicator from being re-set ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks mate, Because its not working would that button also stop the inspection indicator from being re-set ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no i am not, but i was thinking of leaving it for the time being until i get some more cash but it due for service soon so was just wondering if it is the same button they will use to re-set the service and if its not working then i will have to fix it or my service will not be re-set

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Looks like you will have to take the cluster out and use switch cleaner :frown
Hi,

I have the same trip reset problem as lenious,do you think its possible to remove the trip reset button then apply switch cleaner on a cotton bud,or the like, and dab the contact with the cluster still in situ?
I've seen the photos on your DIY link and although it looks relatively easy I dont want to open a can of worms as I have heard the cluster will report its been tampered with and/or any faults on its refit!

thanks in advance,
SlowTech

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I have the same trip reset problem as lenious,do you think its possible to remove the trip reset button then apply switch cleaner on a cotton bud,or the like, and dab the contact with the cluster still in situ?
I've seen the photos on your DIY link and although it looks relatively easy I dont want to open a can of worms as I have heard the cluster will report its been tampered with and/or any faults on its refit!

thanks in advance,
SlowTech
It is not possible without dismantling the cluster. You just have a rubber guard on top of the actual switch.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Thanks to everyone :applause who posted replies, the fault is now fixed
A friend of a friend, 2 hours without car and a case of lager later its working again :thumbsup
I think the plunger was broken and its been replaced or fixed, my friend didn't know all the details he just let him get on with it.
it was always a long shot if it could be repaired but all's well.
SlowTech :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts