BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I have recently bought this car privately and i notice that when the car is started the engine always make a rough noise then quiet down after awhile, also the car seems to be loosing power when i change from one gear to another then suddendly pick up power and shoots off. any suggestions what might be the problems.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi

I have recently bought this car privately and i notice that when the car is started the engine always make a rough noise then quiet down after awhile, also the car seems to be loosing power when i change from one gear to another then suddendly pick up power and shoots off. any suggestions what might be the problems.

Thanks

Hi mate,

That noise you are getting upon start-up...............is it like a deep hum kind of noise? if so then dont worry about it that's the aux air pump just kicking in to help with cold starts.

Or is it a tappety, ticking kinda noise............if so then, that is also kinda normal but you can remedy that by changing the oil...that noise is the lifters.

As for the power issues, you need to get the codes read.........and decent BMW independant garage would do this for you....dont go to a dealer- they'll charge you and arm and a leg.

get the codes read, make a note of them and post them here if you can but the garage should be able to tell you what the issye is once they get into the ECU.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok mate thanks, the noise I am getting sounds like when the exhaust is blown but I have taken it to a local garage who check the exhaust and told me its fine. I will get the codes read as soon as possible

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ok mate thanks, the noise I am getting sounds like when the exhaust is blown but I have taken it to a local garage who check the exhaust and told me its fine. I will get the codes read as soon as possible
Yep.......that does sound like the aux air pump, dont worry about it....but.........open up the bonnet, just infront of the radiator (left hand side) you'll find a large black cylinder thingy with a plastic hose connected to the top and a large rubber hose coming out of the bottom of it- that is your air pump..........basically the pump is sealed together vai rivets- you'll see them from the top........you may be missing some hence the air leak and the noise you are getting- common problem- just get a suitable bolt, drop that in place where the rivet should be and tighten it up with a nut- that will re-seal it and reduce the noise you are getting.:thumbsup

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BMW

I have open the bonnet look infront of the radiator, but cant see anything as you described. Is it located on the left on side when standing infront of the bonnet ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bmw

was looking at some other forum, As for the power issues, do you think it could be my cam sensor

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as for the noise I have located the aux air pump, but they are no bolts missing so any other suggestions

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
as for the noise I have located the aux air pump, but they are no bolts missing so any other suggestions

Have you checked all the way around it from the top? are there any rivets missing at all?

If not then don't worry about it mate.......the noise that you are getting is normal........but if there were any rivets missing then it would be louder.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
as per power issue i have the code read today using autologic scanner which reads central body electronics 5 faults, instrument cluster 1 fault, multiple restrain 1 fault. as far as i know all my electronics are in working order. any idea what might be wrong

·
Registered
67 Posts
Power loss

any ideas i have the code read today using autologic scanner which reads central body electronics 5 faults, instrument cluster 1 fault, multiple restrain 1 fault. as far as i know all my electronics are in working order. any idea what might be wrong
Well fella i had same problem with power loss unplug your air inlet sensor if it makes a difference which t should you willl notice right away its your air inlet cant remember proper name but its an element that needs to be changed every 70000 to 80000 :thumbsup
get back to me with results
its def same problem....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes my ECU was read but there are no fault code with the autologic scanner , it just tells you what is wrong

1 - 17 of 17 Posts