BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant believe with all the most clever minds out there that a company hasnt come up with a 12v powered incar movable hard disk drive that can be connected to a USB ready source unit. Ive got an alpine multimedia system and have seen this item (KCA-620M USB Adapter for MP3) available for alpine stereo's, it states on the website

"This adaptor makes it possible for the head unit to interface with many portable USB devices including USB sticks, USB hard drives, and many MP3 players. It adds value and convenience for customers who do not have an iPod but have music files on their computer"

Does this mean if i had a movable hard drive it could be connected to this unit and the alpine source unit could read the hard drive??

Id rather not go down the ipod route.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
I cant believe with all the most clever minds out there that a company hasnt come up with a 12v powered incar movable hard disk drive that can be connected to a USB ready source unit. Ive got an alpine multimedia system and have seen this item (KCA-620M USB Adapter for MP3) available for alpine stereo's, it states on the website

"This adaptor makes it possible for the head unit to interface with many portable USB devices including USB sticks, USB hard drives, and many MP3 players. It adds value and convenience for customers who do not have an iPod but have music files on their computer"

Does this mean if i had a movable hard drive it could be connected to this unit and the alpine source unit could read the hard drive??

Id rather not go down the ipod route.
Blaukpunkt have had one for at least 12 motnhs a usb hard drive basically that takes its power from the head unit usb port - you can use any usb hard drive on a usb head units if it supports USB stciks etc. As long as the drive isn't too large (in terms of physical size) as then it will require a seperate power source - most 2.5" laptop hard drive can run off usb power alone and work - you can buy cases on ebay for a £1 (i got one) that you put a laptop hard drive in and it runs off usb.

The advantage of the blaupunkt one is that it is a but ruggedised for automotive use.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Kenwood do one as well , if im not mistaken its called a Keg .
I considered it but went for the ipod instead , a lot easier and useable outwith the car .

·
Registered
314 Posts
A company released a 3.5 inch harddrive head unit at least 10 years ago - but it definately wasn't the prettiest thing you could stick in your dash.

I think nobody has gone down this route due to the fact the bumps and shocks from a car on the move don't do hard disks any favours. With older disks the heads will make contact with the platter surface and soon enough will become useless. With newer discs the mechanism will detect a shock, withdraw the read head and you will forever have breaks and pauses while it seeks its last position.

BUT NOW....
With solid state hard discs the solution is here, once prices drop I'm doing to go for it...

If anyone has already come up with something I'd be interested to know more what you did and how...

·
Registered
107 Posts
How big of a hard drive do you really need?? I have got a JVC avx33 head unit with the usb interface and i have just bought a 16gb usb stick was only £17 from amazon.co.uk so its not alot of money, runs of the usb lead with no extra power needed and plenty big enough to put a lot of music on.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Have a 250GB drive connected to mine, should only take 3 or 4 months to listen to everything! Hardly use it if im honest, just plug a pen drive in with 4GB and simply change it when i get bored of the tracks, the usb caddy now just sits in the glovebox doing nothing.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 60gb Computer harddrive in my car now, connected VIA usb, saves me having to plug my iPhone and i have my whole music libarary stored on that and keep it tucked away in the glove box.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You could have just got a bluetooth head unit and connect ur iphone up that way :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts