BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any ideas what would cause a wiff of burnt oil when what seems to be only when braking hard, just seems really random. It the 318ci 1997cc. Many thanks

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
How hard is hard braking?

You will notice a smell if you drive like a looney and are hard on the brakes everywhere:hihi

May be worth checking for binding callipers and general condition of the brakes all around:thumbsup

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mate i get 450 miles out the tank so not thrashing anywhere lol the brakes were taken apart few weeks ago down to a ticking noise when on left lock which has now gone, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
might be handrake sticking on sometimes when you drive your car a few miles get out see if one wheels hotter that the rest if so something is binding on ie pads or rear handbrake shoes does your car pull to one side when braking ?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
dont kwik fit do a free brake check? might be worth going if even just for peace of mind ;)
my 2p says maybe some oil off your hands was transferred to the friction material when you stripped the brakes last time...maybe lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got this problem too, on a 96 328i. I'm pretty sure my rocker is leaking oil onto the manifold though

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help

Did you ever get to the cause of the burning smell? I am having the same problem with my 2003 318ci, had the rocker cover gasket and sensor seal changed but still get a wiff when breaking!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts