BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
hi all , yesterday i changed my discs and pads on my 318ci , but i didnt change the sensors . my brake warning light is still on and i have tried the 20 seconds on and 20 seconds off trick but it hasnt worked:confused. i suspect the sensors need replacing . can anyone tell me please is it possible to do this by just taking the wheels of and not removing the pads? also i can not see where to unplug the rear sensor do i need to cut the cables and join the new sensor to it?? sorry just one more small thing , the brakes do not seem as good now as they did before is this normal as the new pads and discs need to bed in ?? hope someone can advise me on this
big thanks in advance paul

·
Registered
667 Posts
The new discs and pads will need time to bed in and match their surfaces up. Drive easy on them for at least a few hundred miles. After this you should start seeing better performance. Did you flush/bleed the brake fluid?

If the brake pad wear indicator light came on before you did the swap then there is no way around having to swap out the sensors. The wire runs back to a small black platic box mounted on the back of the arch behind the wheel. Pop this box open and the sensors unplugs in there and you can plug the new one in. I think you can swap them out by just taking the wheel off.

You can just unplug them and remove the light. Do you really NEED brake pad wear indicators? Keep an eye on them, you just had new ones so no worries for a few thousand miles. People lived without them before, I'm sure you will be fine :)

HTH.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I will have a go at changing them next weekend
No I didn't flush or bleed the system as I was alone. Is it a difficult job to do?
Or should I take it to a garage to have it done??

·
Registered
667 Posts
I did a DIY on how to bleed brakes HERE.

If you can change discs and pads then you are more than qualified to bleed the hydraulic system. Fluid will set you back about £5, £2 for a turkey baster and about £5 for a no-return bleeding valve. It's all covered in the DIY.

HTH.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts