BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BFuk Resident Design Guru
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

I went and did some basic checks today as i havent done so in a long time and i think i might have somethinng wrong! I checked my oil and theres more than enough.. probably too much but it was my indy that filled it so i assume they know what theyre doing.. :shifty: anyway I checked my filler cap and its emulsified to fook.. now i know they produce a lot of condensation and yes this week ive probably only had it up to temp once as i work pretty close but last week i did a long drive from skye to inverness and i checked the cap before i left and it was free of mayo! :thumbsup Now i went and checked my coolant level after seeing this as i havent done so in a while and the stick is pretty far down.. about an inch or so past the minimum mark... which has got me worried!

Ive not heard of an N42 having head gasket failure soooo.... cracked head!? :mad

What shall i do.. should i get one of those self test sniffer things?

Thanks

Ben

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Oh god Ben.. just hurry up and get this 530!!

Does sound like a head gasket or cracked head.. can't see anything else that would cause that!

Get rid and sell me your LMs on the cheap.. no good for a 5 series after all..

·
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha thanks mike! I cant just now coz my insurance company wont let me! :mad

Ive not checked for coolant leaks yet...? It drives fine though.. no overheating or that... and was not apparant last week although i never checked my coolant... could of been a slow release or just happened and dumped a load in!?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hope it's a coolant leak.. split hose, dodgy rad etc.. Wouldn't instantly have thought so though.

Realistically if you had a split hose or something along those lines it would be a massive dump of coolant, the engine would overheat and you'd probably end up with a warped head..

If the coolant has just gone down.. and apparently got its way into the oil I'd expect either a hairline crack in the head or a knackered gasket..

Fingers crossed for something simple though mate!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I wouldn't worry yet, that's a tiny drop in coolant might just be the cap not sealing or a tiny leak somewhere else?

Lots of short journeys in this cold will give you that Mayo.
Just keep an eye on things :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
keep us updated Ben! :thumbsup

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
don't go on a plane journey for fooks sake it'l go into the ground like a f_ckin Dart with you on it!!

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
top it up and a good hard motorway run for 15-20 mile then see what the score is..

Kill or Cure....

·
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right guys.. update..

After work i went for a 'speedy' :shifty run and about 50% of the mayo has gone.. Im thinking everything is ok, there was no hiccups along the way..

Not checked my coolant yet though as the engine was roasting so best not scald myself! I shall top it up tommorow and keep an eye on it for a while.

PHEW..

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Fingers crossed it's a result of the weather and stop start driving mate!! :thumbsup

Got to be honest I feared the worst as all the symptoms didn't seem good!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts