BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have got some michelin ps2 255/40y17 tyres on the rear of the car.
they have done just under 8k miles and look like they will need changing at 10k miles.

they are very quiet,and grippy,cannot faulty the ride but they have very short life of 10k miles.

what are the opinions on fitting continental sport contact 2s on the rear?-they are specially homologated for fitment on porsche cars,
will they be short lived like the michelin ps2s which were also homologated for fitment on porsche ?or are they longer lasting?

i want to get something longer lasting on the rear with a quiet ride-any ideas?

would it be ok to have michelin ps2s on the front(currently on the car and appear to be longer lasting) and conti sport contact 2 on the rears?

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
a torquey, heavy rwd car will eat tyres i'm afraid...there is a compromise to be made in stickiness vs longevity with tyres, and its quite unlikely 2 different drivers will get the same results in lifespan.
try here for clues :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
my missus had Continental Sport contat 2 on her car and they are a good grippy tyre but TBH the michelin would last longer than them. As said you have a torquey car that will go through tyres quick. a choice you have to make is do you want a tyre that will grip as much as possible or one that will wear well , if you want grip ,they have a short life as they have a softer compound if you want lonfg life they have less grip as they have a harder compound, i have Goodyear Eagle F-1 Asymmetric on my 645Ci and they are fantastic and much better than the bridgestones i had before. i have them on it 8000 miles now and there not even half worn , love them they are stunning in the wet . i will probably try the Michelin Pilot Super Sport the next time , as they are the replacement for the PS2 but promise longer life and better wet grip

ps: you can have different tyres on front and back as long as they are the same tyres per axle , and generally you put the best tyres on the back of the car

·
Registered
8 Posts
(Hello forum users, me newbie) and I suppose this one has been covered but wouldn't it make more sense to put the best tyres on the front?

Steering and stopping being much more important than quickly getting up to speed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No most definitely not , on a rear wheel drive car or any car really you always put your best Tyres on the back in order to prevent overseer going around corners this is what's recommended by every car company . Oversteer is much harder to correct than understeer , it is when the back of the car slides out going around a corner .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts