BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Folks,
I've recently purchased an '03 E39 530d Auto with 100K miles on the clock and I'm wondering if it's wise to remap it to about 230bhp. I' afraid that with the mileage and the auto box that it might be asking for trouble eg. blown turbo or damaged gearbox. Half of the people I asked about this said that it would cause absolutely no problems and the other half advised me not to do it because of the mileage and the auto box. Can any one give me some advice from personal experience as I'm reluctant to take any unnecessary risks as the car is otherwise in perfect condition however a little more power and torque wouldn't go amiss and one guy reckoned I should get up to 5mpg more with a remap - is this fact or myth??
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I bought a e39 530d which was already remaped I was not aware of this 3 month down the like the auto box started to play up due to the high torque I sold the car before I had to replace the gearbox. Also mpg wasent any better gave me less then my current non mapped 530d. But it's your call.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Been researching this myself, and what I have found out is there is no proof or facts that the turbo or gear box should let go. If mapped proper and to safe limits I.E should be fine. Been on 100k you may be on borrowed time turbo wise, these what a read let go from 80k-120k. Mine was replaced at 140k, also been reading a thread on the autobox about replacing the fluid. I plan on having mine remapped and it's got 148k ish now, but I'm going for both abit more power and a few more mpg.

Reactions: ktaylor

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
I would be tempted to service the autobox if i were you, unless you know the history, of course funds come into play.

My fuel consumption hardly changed at all. It depends what you're looking for, is it out and out power increase? or a mild remap etc?

I don't know you so well or your driving style, but after a lil but fun and fast tyre wear I don't tend to floor it every minute of every day to use the extra power/torque from remap, just happy to know the extra performance is there if I need it!

Sorry, going off on a tangent, there. Red!

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
Could be down to the age and mileage of the gearbox, the extra torque shouldn't affect the box as surely the 535d uses the same box.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi

I have a e39 530d Auto with 135k on the clock, I had a mild re-map on mine over a month ago, I had my autobox serviced before I even thought about the having the map done.

As regards to the box and turbo being able to handle it, it's all down to individual cars and how you drive them (been driven!!). Personally I wouldn't go for a full performance map on a car this age but a re-map most definately, get it done and the difference is very noticeable. MPG may improve it may not like most things depend on how you drive it and the car in question you get some good ones and some bad ones.

All I would say is use a good re-mapper who does an individual map for you car (not a generic one) you'll find plenty of feedback on here for the good blokes.

Danny

·
Registered
82 Posts
Keep in mind, the autoboxes are supposed to be rated at 390Nm for LCI models, however it would seem that many of them still has the 340Nm box in. Now the LCI engine is supposed to deliver 420Nm, but most of them do quite a bit more than that stock on overboost. IMO, not even a new box would last long with a remap. But it is your car.

Oh, and remember that when producing more power, the turbo WILL work harder. There is simply no way to make more power without getting in more air and thus straining the turbo more. Even if boost levels remains the same, boost must then be held up to higher rpm, meaning the turbo needs to produce boost at higher flow levels. This usually amounts to the turbo working a lot harder, and decreasing its lifespan accordingly. The best honest tuners will tell you this.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
You don't actually need to increase turbo pressure to make power. The way diesels work, it's actually a bit secondary.
A good example for this is the tuning boxes, as they just increase fueling on it's own and still produce decent figures. The main use of boost is often to get more air in and keep the mixture away from the ratios that will produce smoke.
I would have thought all remaps will increase turbo pressure to avoid smoke, but you could at the same time just adjust fueling quantities and give a "tuning box" style tune without touching the turbo.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is true, but you have a limit on the amount of power you make - and only really cheap maps use only that method. Besides that, it will also increase your exhaust gas temperature, which will also reduce turbo life quite a bit. More air is needed to safely increase the diesel flow in order to make more power.

·
Registered
87 Posts
had mine done 8 months ago, if i listened to all the negatives by people who had never even had a remap done on their own car i would never of had it done, but im glad i did.
the 525d 530d and the 535d all have the same gearbox, turbo, engine, etc... so if a high mileage 535d can get remapped with no probs at all, then you can definitely map a 530 to give you the same power as a standard 535d
i had mine done at 125k i have now done over 150k with no probs at all, and i do work the box quite hard, although i do tend to take it easy from a standing start, and most of my acceleration is from 40mph+
if a problem occurs after a remap, chances are it would have happened sooner or later anyway!
These are just my thoughts, but when i buy my next car whatever the mileage is, it's getting remapped because it puts a big smile on my face during my boring 50mile trip to work.....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
the 525d 530d and the 535d all have the same gearbox, turbo, engine, etc... so if a high mileage 535d can get remapped with no probs at all, then you can definitely map a 530 to give you the same power as a standard 535d
I feel I have to correct you here mate - the 525d and the 530d had a GM box rated to 360Nm input torque, or 390Nm input torque, well within the limits of the 525d chipped - pushing it with a later 193bhp 530d being remapped.

The 535d had a ZF box capable of handling 500Nm input torque.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The 535d had a ZF box capable of handling 500Nm input torque.
The 535d with 272bhp pushes 560nm stock and the 286bhp engine pushes 580nm stock.

I have the ZF document's for the newer 2nd generation gearbox's which is used in the 286bhp version, the maximum torque rating is 700nm, some 120nm over the stock engine power. The 6HP26 was replaced with the 6HP28 2nd generation gearbox with the newer style gear lever with push button park and increased torque rating of 700nm.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi

I have a e39 530d Auto with 135k on the clock, I had a mild re-map on mine over a month ago, I had my autobox serviced before I even thought about the having the map done.

As regards to the box and turbo being able to handle it, it's all down to individual cars and how you drive them (been driven!!). Personally I wouldn't go for a full performance map on a car this age but a re-map most definately, get it done and the difference is very noticeable. MPG may improve it may not like most things depend on how you drive it and the car in question you get some good ones and some bad ones.

All I would say is use a good re-mapper who does an individual map for you car (not a generic one) you'll find plenty of feedback on here for the good blokes.

Danny
Sorry to jump the thread here. Are you still enjoying your remap then Danny?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts