BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Over the last few days my alarm has randomly started going off, and when i was driving somewhere the boot suddenly showed as open and then the drivers door did the same even though they were not. Also my radio reception has turned very dodgy, sometimes it is fine and the it goes truely awful, when it is bad about the only station it will tune into now is Radio 1???

I have read threads on here about dodgy central locking and something about a Diversity module and I remember reading in the past about water getting into the box of tricks under the cabin filter on passenger side of bonnet?? Is that the diversity module or is the ADM somewhere else in the car?? Or could the problems be from a broken wire as that seems another common theme??

I need to do something as I am having to leave the car unlocked at home as the alarm randomly goes off otherwise??

Cheers

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would check the wiring at the tailgate hinge, may be damaged and shorting out.
Also a fault code read of the body control module would flag up what faults are stored for the alarm system.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Ronnie, cheers.

Another thing I have noticed is that everytime I go to unlock the car with the key the alarm goes off, it seems to lock fine and alarm doesn't go off straight away just seems to go off when I unlock the car??? Very strange!!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Ok Ronnie, cheers.

Another thing I have noticed is that everytime I go to unlock the car with the key the alarm goes off, it seems to lock fine and alarm doesn't go off straight away just seems to go off when I unlock the car??? Very strange!!
Hi Matty, hows you battery condition loads of odd faults sometimes mean it's flat or Knackered, mind the radio uses the heated rear window for reception I think, deffo on the saloon version, so Ronnies probably on it, touring tailgates are well known for broken wires.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ose thhe battery is pretty much brand new, i only fitted it at xmas, so I wouldn't expect it to be that. I have checked the two hinges for the top half of the tailgate and found nothing so far but have lost the light now so will have to wait till tomorrow.

So far since I got back to my car after work it the alarm is behaving and the radio reception was ok on way home to which seems strange, i'm not sure if the cold has got summat to do with it??

One new strange point to add though, when I lifted the bonnet to check the box under the cabin filter (which is bone dry thank good) the windscreen wipers at front started going and the key wasn't even in the ignition?? Figure that one out!?!?!?!?! The only think that stopped then was closing the bonnet or pulling the fuse in the glovebox.

I changed the FSR before xmas, this couldn't be causing a problem all of a sudden could it??

Cheers

·
Registered
916 Posts
Seems you have a problem that can by-pass the ignition like its wet somewhere critical or damage to the loom, again the tailgate is top for loom damage.
39's can leak big style via the rear doors check out the carpets as they are thickly foam backed and will hold shed loads of water the loom lies against them in the sill areas.
How is the battery earth any corrosion white powder?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have a hunt round for areas tomoz Ose, I haven't noticed anything but I don't get in the back much lol. I did have some condensation inside the car this morning though, I just thought it was because of the really cold weather but maybe the carpets are damp like you say?? I did check that box of wires under the passenger side cabin filter under the bonnet and that was all bone dry.

Also, excuse the stupidity but when you say battery earth do you mean the negative lead on the battery or where the negative lead is bolted to the bodywork or summat???

Cheers

·
Registered
916 Posts
Also, excuse the stupidity but when you say battery earth do you mean the negative lead on the battery or where the negative lead is bolted to the bodywork or summat???

Both:thumbsup
Condensation... bad news sounds wet to me.....:frown

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There isn't anything on the neg lead of the battery, I had a look this morning. The back carpets don't seem to be wet in any way either and the alarm behaved all last night and there was no condensation inside the car either?? Very strange.

One thing I did notice on my way to work this morning was everytime I put the wipers on the front either by turning them on properly or pressing the stalk to get one swipe the little alarm went of saying the drivers door was open and the lights came on, once I turned them off again it went away?!?! This is very strange.

Talking to people in work they keep saying it must be a bad earth somewhere?? I am assuming since the front wipers seem to be connected to the issue ie when I put them on or when they come on when I open the bonnet then the loose/broken wire is up front somewhere isn't it rather than at the back??? When people say 'bad earth' do they just mean a wire shorting out on the bodywork??

Cheers

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hi Matty, Now years ago I did work on wiper systems and the one thing they all have is a parking system, now if you think about the self parking it means that the wipers are still live even when you switch them off, i.e. you are switching on/off the earth, they then run on until a set point in the wipe is reached (the park position) then stop, this is controlled by a switch normally operated mechanically, but could be a sensor on modern kit like a beamer, which cuts off the earth totally.
Either way the wipers are live if the ignition is on and are just waiting for an earth connection to run, so any wet or damage to the loom will set them off.
Trouble is beamers are so dam complex and you can bet its some module pack full off electronics.
I would have a good google on this you cannot be the first person to have BMW wipers with a mind of there own.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do Ose, at the minute it just the wipers playing up when I open the bonnet, all the other faults seemed to have disappeared??

If it is a broken wire I'm looking for a bare bit of wire aren't I? Shorting out on the bodywork or summat???

·
Registered
916 Posts
Will do Ose, at the minute it just the wipers playing up when I open the bonnet, all the other faults seemed to have disappeared??

If it is a broken wire I'm looking for a bare bit of wire aren't I? Shorting out on the bodywork or summat???
I would guess yes to that, and don't you have a wiper in the tailgate, so is this going full circle back to your wiring being broken in the tailgate ?
Unless the bonnet hinges are hitting something, what about the alarm switch in front of the air con filter passenger side, have heard these can play up...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Possible to have a broken wire without a break in the sheathing giving intermittent contact. Not that you need more aggro.:frownTry and have someone flex each wire in the suspect area in turn while you monitor whats going on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers for the suggestions fellas, i still had no luck finding any dodgy wires, I might unplug the alarm thing under the bonnet, see if that does anything.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hi Matty had a good look under my bonnet and I cannot for the life of me see how the hinges could touch anything electrical and there is no electrical items on the lid itself either....... the only thing is the wipers are just tucked under the bonnet I was thinking maybe some water into the wiper off the bonnet when you raised it suggesting a leak into or onto the wiper somehow... seems highly unlikely mind.:confused

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just a bit of an update, i finally checked all the wiring in the boot hinges and all is fine and then I lifted the bonnet to check stuff under there and the wipers weren't moving???

Now I knew BMW's were clever but I didn't know they could fix themselves lol, I'm starting to thing that the extreme cold weather and loads of ice I had on my car when this all started had gotten in to the electrics somewhere in the wiper assembly and was causing chaos and now it has warmed up slightly it is ok???

Very strange, I'm sure the problem will come back at some point but for now all is good!

Cheers for your advice peeeps

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not sure fella, will have a nosey. When it rains though I can hear running water on the passenger side of the car, drives me nuts. That is the reason I checked that box under the cabin filter on that side but didn't see anything amiss.

I'll have a good look round anyway, cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts