BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, i hope i got the corrent location for this thread ! (any mods feel free to move it)

I've a 525d autosport and i tow a heavy caravan with it....(sorry, but don't tar me with the same brush..i don't like towing slow !:hihi)

anyway, I had an oil service done, and comma 10-40 fully synthetic was used by the garage. At the time i did not do many miles a year and i was going to leave the van on a fixed site so would not be towing as much as i actually will this year.

i know the oil used is not the best quality and ever since it got changed i'm watching the temp gauge and listening like hell for ANYTHING !

first...any thoughts on this oil...??

second....if i'm towing, and the engine DOES work hard when i tow, (the van is 1.7 tons) the burning question is what is a good oil to use... 10-40 or 5-30 , is the 10-40 a heavier oil? and 5-30 the thinner, so whats best a heavier ( stickier) oil to reduce wear and heat, or the lighter ?

all thoughts are welcome

cheers

Ian

·
Registered
11 Posts
First, i hope i got the corrent location for this thread ! (any mods feel free to move it)

I've a 525d autosport and i tow a heavy caravan with it....(sorry, but don't tar me with the same brush..i don't like towing slow !:hihi)

anyway, I had an oil service done, and comma 10-40 fully synthetic was used by the garage. At the time i did not do many miles a year and i was going to leave the van on a fixed site so would not be towing as much as i actually will this year.

i know the oil used is not the best quality and ever since it got changed i'm watching the temp gauge and listening like hell for ANYTHING !

first...any thoughts on this oil...??

second....if i'm towing, and the engine DOES work hard when i tow, (the van is 1.7 tons) the burning question is what is a good oil to use... 10-40 or 5-30 , is the 10-40 a heavier oil? and 5-30 the thinner, so whats best a heavier ( stickier) oil to reduce wear and heat, or the lighter ?

all thoughts are welcome

cheers

Ian
10W-40 is semi synth, not fully synth. 5W-30 which is fully synth, is recommended for your car Ian :thumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.