BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,recently bought a h7 hid conversion kit from diane shop as well recomended, however there is no way of holding the hid bulb in. the original h7 bulbs press into a 90 degree plug with 3 lugs which twists about an 8th turn. my headlamps are angeleye with h7 bulbs on high and dip,anybody else came across this problem?? cheers andy c.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just to let u know the bulb holders were close but mine would need the 3 lugs same as original holders, so still up sh*t creak!!!! anoyed with diane shop no communication! cheers andy c.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd steer clear of those HID bulb holder ebay jobbies.

I went through a couple of different types. They just don't fit, and when you modify them so that they do, they don't hold the bulbs securely enough. I have a pair in mine that I'm about to remove because I can see the beam pattern wobbling as I drive over any bumps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2003 E39 530i Sport HID Kit Conversion recommendation

I purchased an H7 HID kit from "j_a_m_performance" on eBay and am very happy with it. It works really well and wasn't hard to install at all. The correct bulb holders for the E39 came with the kit. No problems there. The kit comes with a grommet with the four wires going through it but it wasn't needed on my car so I removed it. The installation instructions made more sense then, and made the installation easier. I didn't get any fault lights because of the HID conversion either. The kit was £60 + £19.95 for shipping and I feel it was well worth it. I can see the road now. The original H7 lighting was really bad. The only other thing I had to do was readjust my lights to be a bit higher. I compared them to my E46 that has factory HID lighting and raised my E39 lights accordingly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a couple of different HID kits in my cars and none have come with the correct bulb holders.

I've been doing a bit of research lately and it turns out you can now buy the proper D2S bulbs (OEM factory fitment) with the correct holder, and an adapter lead for aftermarket HID ballasts. The idea is that everything just slots together properly without the need for cutting/modifying/bodging etc.

I've ordered these bits and will let you know how I get on with them when they arrive. Total cost was £70... which was the same price as the HID kit :( but hopefully it will all look factory and stop the wobbling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, here’s the parts I ordered:

From left to right, we have a 6000K Xenon bulb with D2S fitment, a D2S-halogen bulb adapter, and a D2S-Aftermarket wiring adapter.

The D2S bulb is the fitment used as OEM by BMW, so even brand new OEM bulbs can be used if you manage to find a pair going cheap on Ebay.

The D2S-Halogen adapter has a fitment for the D2S bulb at one end, and the CORRECT fitting lugs for your standard Halogen bulb holder on the outside. I stress this point because it’s the whole reason I’m going to the extra expense of changing to D2S – I've tried two different varieties of aftermarket HID bulb holder and neither of them have fitted correctly. This one does, perfectly.

The last part of the puzzle is the D2S-aftermarket wiring adapter. At the other end of the cable are the standard aftermarket connectors for plugging into the ballasts (inset).

Eventually, I intend to open up the plastic housings on the D2S connectors, cut off the standard connectors on the ballast and resolder the wires into the D2S housings for that factory look.

OK, the idea is to locate the bulb into the holder, lock the holder into the headlight reflector, then connect the plug to the back of the bulb and lock it in place with a half-turn. This didn’t quite go to plan:

The bulb had 3 little dimples on it which prevent the bulb/holder assembly from turning and locking into the reflector. These were easy to remove with a stanley knife blade.

The locking ring on the D2S connector was fractionally too large to fit into the housing and secure onto the bulb connector. It does make contact, but not securely enough – I found this to my cost when I turned the headlight on and saw that it was strobing rapidly – turned it off again and when I checked the connector I saw that the metal contacts were blackened where the electricity had arced through the air between the contacts. The bulb still works but I expect it’s lifespan has been shortened considerably.

I decided to reduce the outer diameter and thickness of the locking ring on the connector. I did this by simply sanding the outer edge of the plastic ring, and the front facing surface. I did this by trial and error and eventually, the connector could slide in and out of the holder freely and with the bulb fitted, it gripped the bulb connector much better. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to take enough plastic off to allow the connector to lock properly by turning it, but it’s secure enough as there is no more strobing or arcing and the connector needs a good tug to take it off.

The finsihed assembly looks like this:

When I fitted them to the headlights, they slotted in nicely and locked securely into the reflector*. The wiring looked a lot cleaner than before and on driving, the beam pattern was now much better - no more shadow from the electrode caused by a wrongly orientated bulb, and there was no wobble over bumps caused by an insecurely fitted bulb/holder.

*Footnote
Unfortunately, on removing the previously badly fitting holders prior to fitting these new assemblies, one of the lugs snapped off the reflector housing. Goes to show how much strain they were being put under. I now have to fork out for a whole new headlight :mad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well that was a bloody expensive waste of a morning!

I'm now lighter to the tune of £340 courtesy of ECP, but I have two brand spanking new headlights, and more importantly, two securely fitted xenon bulbs. Here's the problem:

I took the opportunity to get everything done - I resoldered the D2S connectors straight onto the ballast wiring and sanded the locking ring down so now it locks onto the back of the bulb properly.

Glad it's all finished now, and buggered if I have to pay a penny more on the feckers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
HID bulb holder

Having just experienced the appalling way HID suppliers deal with e39 owners I have managed to add a set to my car and upgrade the angel eye bulbs with LED white version.
For the correct bulb holder look no further than Xenon Lights UK Ltd in Liverpool:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E39-5-SERIES-HID-XENON-HEADLIGHT-BULB-HOLDERS-PAIR_W0QQitemZ160312583161QQihZ006QQcategoryZ72235QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Friendly and helpful and the holders fit, quite tightly, and the bulb rest bit needs cutting off to allow the bulb to sit with the bar at the bottom when fitting to avoid shadow from the light. These holders are available elsewhere for nearly £30 the pair, but these chaps are cheapest Ive found, and the HID kits are good value too

·
Registered
2 Posts
With respect Dan530, the item I mention is not even the same shape as the type you tried to fit, the similarity ends with the colour of the rubber ring!
The lip from the ring on yours is thicker and longer than the type I have fitted and yours is intended for D2S fitment which mine arent.
I suggest you purchase these and cut off the bevelled end and glue the bulb mount to the rear end. I have another couple of e39 owners who have all had success in fitting HID kits with these holders, with breakages

·
Registered
478 Posts
I found just getting the ones BMW supply are easiest, got mine for my E39 direct from a Hella stockist on ebay instead of from BMW, 600 quid, with free P&P and fitting looms etc., BMW sell exactly the same ones for 6k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO

Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Z1300uk, you obviously haven't read the post correctly.

Unfortunately, on removing the previously badly fitting holders prior to fitting these new assemblies, one of the lugs snapped off the reflector housing.
The damage was done by the rings I had fitted previously, which are exactly the same as the ones you've pictured. The damage occured when they were removed to fit the new ones (in my long post on the previous page).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.