BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 545i today. Excellent car, fbmwsh, drives superbly, 63k miles...but...

after about 15-20 miles I got an ABS, braking and transmission failure with all lights flashing - and a drive moderately warning. The car went onto safe mode and I nursed back to the dealer.

When He tested it all he got was a battery charging fault - he said that a low battery can cause the systems to diagnose transmission/abs problems and that a new battery should remedy.

To be fair when the car is restarted all the warnings are gone and the car drives perfectly, so there is clearly no catastrophic problem with the transmission/brakes/gearbox.

To all you experienced BMW owners out there - does what the dealer said sound right? Can a low battery cause the iDrive system to diagnose major problems that dont exist?

Many thanks in advance, I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am somewhat worried as you can understand...!

·
Banned
478 Posts
Didnt your dealer test the alternator/battery? It may have flagged up charging fault in his fault reader, but knowing if your battery or the alternator is to blame would save you wasting money on a new battery, if it didnt need one.:confused

Low battery power will cause electrical hiccups.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its still under warranty so I've left it with him, presumably the mechanics will test the battery on monday...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The alternator should run ALL the car electrics unless you have alot of items switched on, so I would think the alternator charging rate can't be great. Keep us updated on the problem and congratulations on your new car :thumbsup

Also could you remember to add the vehicle details in the thread title next time as per forum rules please, they have been done for you this time. It makes it far easier for people looking up help for their own problems or conversions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts