BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
swirl flaps fell off and wrecked my engine,dont listen to anyone saying it wont happen to you,90k car full service history,driving down motorway when heard a pinking sound started missfiring,towed into bmw 2 pistons wrecked valves etc new engine required and poss turbo,worst thing was i was gonna remove the flaps but was advised "there ok leave them alone" gutted to say the least:frown

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Push and push for a goodwill gesture. There is obviously a problem that they know about. Its worth it even if they pay for the parts or labour :cool
Keep us posted how you get on with them, sometimes they can be stubborn but sometimes they can give in straight away :confused

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Damn Gaz, sorry to hear also, that's why I advise everybody that they are known to go on all BMW engines :frown

You need to hold your ground on the goodwill gesture, they should budge from the first offer :thumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been thinking about doing this too. It seems that the only downside is an increase in emissions when idling. However, I would worry that this might cause the car to fail its biennial emissions test.
I'm wondering why nobody is suggesting just replacing them, say, every 30,000 miles rather than removing them altogether. Surely they are only prone to failure after high mileage?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I have been thinking about doing this too. It seems that the only downside is an increase in emissions when idling. However, I would worry that this might cause the car to fail its biennial emissions test.
I'm wondering why nobody is suggesting just replacing them, say, every 30,000 miles rather than removing them altogether. Surely they are only prone to failure after high mileage?
The problem is that you cannot buy the Swirl Flaps separately from the inlet manifold, so its £400 just to change them, every 30,000 miles :eek

·
Registered
184 Posts

biennial??? what emissions test do you get every 2 years or ?? pull them out, it wont fail emissions tests!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have replaced mines one month back, they were in a good shape. A friend of mine followed me and today took his manifold off(02 e39 530dSport) - on one flap rod was broken at the very "base":jaw-dropping so flap hanging literally in the air in the almost closed position!Miracle it didn't fall down! and 2 screws were loose on 2 other flaps.
So if you dont have a warranty do it ASAP

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had mine my 55reg 525d done on Friday by PMW!

Mine had the new design - still cover in carbo :(

Glad i did, sorry to hear about your bad news.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The problem is that you cannot buy the Swirl Flaps separately from the inlet manifold, so its £400 just to change them, every 30,000 miles :eek
Thats not entirely true

The flaps can be changed, in the same way blanking plates are fitted.
disconnect the actuating rod, and each flap can be removed with it's supporting bush. 2 X torx screws hold each flap assembly to the manifold.

I ampputated my flaps months ago, I found one that was working loose from it's axle, car had 104K at that time. I cut the axles from the bush, and plugged the hole with an M6 bolt, Nylock nut on the end then distorted the bolt overhang in a vice, and re-fitted the flap bushes in the manifold. Disconnected the EGR also, and run a better quality / slightly lighter oil 0W 40 to keep the turbo flushed at low temperatures, and journals flushed at high temps also. Has passed emissions also BTW.
Sorry to hear abouit the thread originators woes - it's simple - get rid of them, before they strike.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thats not entirely true

The flaps can be changed, in the same way blanking plates are fitted.
disconnect the actuating rod, and each flap can be removed with it's supporting bush. 2 X torx screws hold each flap assembly to the manifold.

I ampputated my flaps months ago, I found one that was working loose from it's axle, car had 104K at that time. I cut the axles from the bush, and plugged the hole with an M6 bolt, Nylock nut on the end then distorted the bolt overhang in a vice, and re-fitted the flap bushes in the manifold. Disconnected the EGR also, and run a better quality / slightly lighter oil 0W 40 to keep the turbo flushed at low temperatures, and journals flushed at high temps also. Has passed emissions also BTW.
Sorry to hear abouit the thread originators woes - it's simple - get rid of them, before they strike.
I think the question was whether he can BUY NEW SWIRL FLAPS or not:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.