BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all is this the norm? the gauge on the dash seems to fly over to off the scale rather too easy now!:frown

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Hi all is this the norm? the gauge on the dash seems to fly over to off the scale rather too easy now!:frown
The 'swingometer' isn't an accurate MPG calculation, fill to brim, reset the OBC mpg, reset trip mileage an drive.
When you next fill up take note of the litres used to brim fill then multiply litres x 0.22 = gallons then divide mileage on trip by gallons used and there you have an accurate MPG then compare with OBC MPG to compare accuracy.

You should find the car feels a bit peppier with the EGR bypassed so a very small increase in MPG should follow? :thumbsup

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did this the easy way by pulling off pipe from top of egr and blocking both sides is this correct?
Car seems to take longer to get warm too!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I did this the easy way by pulling off pipe from top of egr and blocking both sides is this correct?
Car seems to take longer to get warm too!
Yes remove the vacuum pipe connected to the EGR, block the pipe with a golf tee and place some electrical tape over the now exposed male connector
on the EGR valve. similar to pic below..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok this is how i did it. but car seems no different to drive and runs cooler! Is this the norm?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Ok this is how i did it. but car seems no different to drive and runs cooler! Is this the norm?
It shouldn't affect temperature and as said the car should feel a bit perkier, I'd run it as is for a couple of tanks of fuel and if you're
still concerned simply reconnect the vac pipe?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Did mine and fuel is fine , probably better slightly.. Have noticed no black smoke on full throttle also. Yeah it's all good

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cant figure out how it could do this? i think it takes longer to warm up because of less hot gasses going back into engine!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Would this work for my mrs focus diesel 2004?
Cheers all
D'you mean the EGR bypass? I'm not up on ford dervs but I'd assume like BMW if it is a Euro4 emission compliant engine disconnecting the EGR will illuminate the EML.

Have you left yours disconnected then Lee?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D'you mean the EGR bypass? I'm not up on ford dervs but I'd assume like BMW if it is a Euro4 emission compliant engine disconnecting the EGR will illuminate the EML.

Have you left yours disconnected then Lee?
No i have reconnected it untill get egr thermostat done! found it was taking so much longer to warm up hence worse mpg!
Did it to mrs focus and big difference power is more linear and smooth! will check mpg eventually but its so good on fuel anyway dont think shes too bothered!
Oh and no eml lights on dash!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts